We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

Peterborough
2 posts
1 review
Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

Hi, I am trying to plan a trip to South Africa next year. Currently we are spending some time in Cape Town and some time at Victoria falls. Drakensberg mountains have been recommended to us as another place to visit. We don't really want to hire a car, is it feasible to visit Drakensberg without hiring a car? Which airport would we fly to and how would we book transfers? I've never booked this kind of holiday dire fly and I'm a bit clueless on how to arrange transfers, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
6,797 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

You're going to S Africa and no safari? Go to Kruger.

I don't understand why you don't want to drive but since you don't, contact the hotels/lodges you choose to arrange a transfer. Choose one with included activities or you'll be stuck in the hotel without a car. There's not a lot of tourism infrastructure in KwaZulu Natal (it's my favorite area of S Africa, but hasn't been found yet!) so I'm not sure how you could arrange it. But someone on this forum recently did but didn't give specifics. Maybe the Baz Bus?

Fly to Durban.

I would do Vic Falls, Cape Town, Kruger. In that order to minimize layovers through JNB. Easy, very common first visit to S Africa. You'll be back - go to KZN next time!

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

To answer your actual question, no not easily. I suppose you could fly to Pietermaritzburg (relatively expensive) and find a transfer company to drive you the 100 km or so to the nearest part of the Berg, but driving yourself would be a lot easier. Any particular reason you don't want to?

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

Hello and you will need to contact a few of the major hotels in the Drakensberg to see if anyone offers transfers. You could start with Cathedral Peak Hotel. It is a very easy region to navigate and drive in and you would find it easier if you were to hire a car, As mentioned you can fly into Durban or Piertariztburg. If you wanted a 'safari' then Nambiti is close to the Drakensberg, plus the battlefieds are on the door step to.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Peterborough
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

thank you all for the useful advice. I actually don't have a licence, and my husband drives a lot so was hoping to avoid having to drive on holiday just so it is a bit more relaxing for him. Listening to your comments it sounds like we would be better off getting a car.

Also - we are already looking into safari in Kruger!

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

Hi and just to say again its quite nice to drive in SA and should not be anywhere near as busy as your home town. You could just do a short hire and the driving will really only be from the airport to any resort your chose.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

6. Re: Are Drakensberg mountains accessible without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Drakensberg Region