We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lock or not

wakefield
Level Contributor
338 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
lock or not

flying out on tuesday from Manchester, last time I went to USA we was told not to put locks on our cases so lock or not

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lock or not

If you want to keep the stuff that's in your bags, then use a TSA-approved lock -- available now for well over a decade at any high street or pound shop.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lock or not

I fly and travel extensively , domestically as well as internationally and I have never locked my bags and have never had a problem. if someone wants to bad enough, they will find a way in or just steal the blooming suitcase .. which is much easier to facilitate than to open it and rifle through

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
593 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lock or not

Don't put anything of value in a checked bag. That way you don't need to lock it. Put your valuables in your carry on.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lock or not

My experience is a little different than post #2. I've had stuff removed from checked baggage twice. In all probability by airport employees. In all likelihood a lock might slow them down just enough to look at someone else's luggage instead.

That said, your chances of being robbed are extremely remote.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited: 01 May 2017, 05:48
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
11,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lock or not

My experience is a little different than post #2. I've had stuff removed from checked baggage twice. In all probability by airport employees. In all likelihood a lock might slow them down just enough to look at someone else's luggage instead.

That said, your chances of being robbed are extremely remote.

"Not all those who wander are lost.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited: 01 May 2017, 05:49
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lock or not

I have had things taken from my bags, so yes I lock them.

Sure I dont put valuables in, but I still care if a box cookies, perfume or candy meant as a gift goes missing.

So use a TSA lock- but beware. They are lazy at times and do cut off TSA locks if they cant be bothered to use the master key

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lock or not

exactly - even if it's just my old faded jeans, they're mine and I'd like to hang onto them. So I lock mine, too -- the airport thieves are lazy -- they're going to pass over a locked suitcase in favour of one that's not locked.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
18,469 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lock or not

I use a distinctive colored strap with a TSA approved combination lock built in. It also helps me identify it easily in baggage claim.

9. Re: lock or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2018, 09:49