We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

I'll be making a 3-day visit (at least) to Puebla next week. I'm an avid photographer and I have a few questions. (1) Where is the best vantage point from which to get a panoramic view of Puebla? (2) Does anyone know of any local photographers or tour outfits who lead photography tours of Puebla? (3) I found a beautiful photo on line of a colonial church with mountains in the background. The caption says it was taken in "Atzitzintla, Puebla, Mexico." I can find very little information (in English) about this town. (I'm linking to the photo below on the 500px website but I'm not sure if you can view it if you're not a member of the site.) Any advice on how to access it?

https:/…

8 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

you can take a fantastic shot of the colonial church on the pyramid with the volcanoes in the background from the overpass bridge next to UDLA.

The Zocalo in Puebla many fine views of the cathedral

Cholula also has dozens and dozens of amazing baroque churches

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

I have visited Puebla 3 or 4 times including once this year (and going again in September) and had never heard of Atzitzintla. I doubt you will find an easy way there. If you are adventurous, there is an AU bus station in nearby Esperanza. AU also serves Puebla. I would imagine you could make your way there, then ask around for a taxi to take you to this ruined hacienda. At least, that is how I would approach it.

I will say I've never seen such a clear mountain shot as that one on 500px. At first I assumed it be a fake. Whenever I have been in Puebla the mountains have been mostly hidden due to pollution or haze. At least this time of year there are rains that should cleanse the atmosphere some.

The Cinco de Mayo battlefields area ("Los Fuertes") in Puebla has some height. I've shot daytime photos from up there, you could probably get something panoramic. A taxi should be cheap, it's basically walking distance from the Centro, but it's a steep hill. This is one I took some years back with a cheap point and shoot:

peterktravels.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09…

The classic local shot is the one Dynamisto mentions, the Iglesia de los Remedios in Cholula with Popo (volcano) in the background. This has eluded me, haze, pollution, or the wrong angle always seem to get in the way. You should try for it, though, it's a great shot.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

Here's a direct link to the mirador area by the Fuertes:

https://goo.gl/maps/RhDPTuXzvJt

Apparently it's named "Mirador La Mantarraya".

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

OK, so you really piqued my interest. I did some digging around online and found a better name, then a general location, and then I scanned Google Satellite view until I found the ex-Hacienda on the road outside of town. It is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZrmSULXTbD72

If you go -- tell me more. It's the sort of place I could see myself going.

Also, ran across this image on the road outside of town, which I felt needed to be shared:

https://goo.gl/maps/3YtQ6ixCf8L2

:)

Edited: 06 August 2017, 06:01
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

Thanks, Dynamisto! Very helpful.

I'm sorry but being a tourist, I don't know what UDLA stands for. Can you educate me?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
54 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

Wow, Peter826! I am totally in your debt! I will follow these up and let you know what happens!

Regarding the hacienda, when you say the ex-hacienda is "on the road just outside of town," do you mean outside of Puebla?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

No, that hacienda is on the road outside of Atzitzintla, which is a 70 mile drive east of the city of Puebla. As I noted in my first post, you likely wouldn't find an easy way there unless you care to rent a car or pay someone to drive you out there.

UDLA would be the Universidad de las Americas Puebla. There's a traffic ramp there where you can gain some height if trying to shoot a photo to the west of the Church and Volcano. It's this view:

https://goo.gl/maps/DRgYAJuoKGF2

Note the yellow church on top of the pyramid. Past that is Popocatepetl, a huge volcano. It's just hidden by clouds in the google image. Bring a long lens.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
447 reviews
8. Re: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions

Can't help you with the church photo but from our experience, probably (?) one of the better spots from which to get a panorama photograph of Puebla is from the hill where the Cinco de Mayo Monument commemorating the Battle of Puebla is located? We took the quickie tour bus (double decker) from the Zocalo and it was part of the tour but didn't present a great opportunity to get much in the way of good photos. Besides, it was an overcast day with some rain the day we did it.

Your link did work and it is a great photo!

Reply to: Photographing Puebla: Some Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puebla
Recent Conversations