We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Recently, I visited Zacatecas for a second time. This is a very beautiful city and the nice thing about it is there are not many non-Mexican tourists. I enjoyed the architecture, food, people, and culture. It is extremely affordable unlike many beach resorts and safe. This trip I stayed at Casa Torres which was a great value in the center of town though the only drawback was that the wifi was not as strong as I would have liked. On this trip, I returned to the Rafael Coronel Museum (beautiful grounds and cool collection of masks, the Cathedral, and Cerro Bufa (nice views).

I also visited the Grupo Modelo Brewery (supposedly one of the largest breweries in the world) on the outskirts of Zacatecas. This was one of the best brewery tours I have ever had. This was primarily because our guide, Juan Gabriel, gave an excellent tour. This tour is given in English and is free so long as you contact the Brewery in advance. After the tour, we had quite a few beers at the visitor center, again free of charge. We left extremely happy and ate carnitas at a nearby restaurant (Camino Real, I think) that Juan Gabriel recommended. It was really tasty.

Anyway, Zacatecas is great place to visit if you want to spend time in a beautiful colonial town less than 3 hours from a lot of US cities.

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Zacatecas, Mexico
Casa Torres Hotel
Casa Torres Hotel
123 Reviews
Zacatecas, Mexico
10 replies to this topic
1. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2017, 19:35

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Really? I feel bad for your significant other or poor pet. I could understand your comment in the context of a busy forum like Amsterdam or London, but there are hardly any Zacatecas trip reports or posts for that matter. Unfortunately, I have not had time to do a hotel, restaurant, or attraction review. For your own good, please go to troll therapy. Have good day.

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Zacatecas, Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Minor correction for you: Zacatecas sub forum is contained within the Central and Gulf Coast Forums and within a day or so, your trip report will be out of sight and out of mind.

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Zacatecas, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

That is not the point. My post was meant for Zacatecas not any larger forum. Anyway, good riddance Crabby Troll, good luck on your pursuit for more TripAdvisor badges.

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Zacatecas, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Oh stop fighting boys. Zacatecas is beautiful, I lived around the corner from Casa Torres for 3 yrs, up the steps at the little store, a great place. I hope you made it to the Bufa, my namesake dog Panchito is so mad we left - its about a 20 min walk from Casa Torres straight uphill to the Bufa and there are paths there for runners and doggies as well as the museum and sites on top. I was working there for the 2014 centennial of the battle of Zacatecas, it was such a bloodshed, looking down from your hotel to the road to Guadalupe was impassible for cadavers, dead military and civilians.

mexitv.com/portfolio/…

https:/…video

Zacatecas has a festival of Teatro de Calle every October that is linked to the Cervantino in Guanajuato, it is my fav frestival, really great international groups. They also do 2 weeks Semana Santa/Semana de Pascua of a cultural festival- its more for the people than us snobs - they had KC and the Sunshine Band a few yrs back - totally hilarious, still great after all these yrs. There is an international folk dance festival every July with groups from Estonia to Canada to France wherever. It is an awesome destination, my pick for most beautiful city in MX.

Plenty of travellers go there but not so many from the USA - US tourists are relatively timid compared say to Europeans who are accustomed to different languages/cultures. With me in Guadalajara now well the English language quotient in Zacatecas has dipped considerably. OK there is Ian. The Boeing guys. Hmmmm. The people from Los Angeles with roots in Zacatecas are not from the urban cultural types - 85% rural migrants, my fav is Gustavo Arellano who edits OC Weekly and is a great writer http://gustavoarellano.net/ - but you see their origins are not the culto/educated types so they think of Zacatecas as like grandpa´s rancho.

One of my goals is to market trips and tourism to these "roots" younger 2nd and 3rd generation types - had this incredible experience thru this site in Zacatecas with a 35 yr old millionaire banker living in this incredible address in NYC - he came down with his bf and was like scared - his dad was a rural migrant, mom poor from Central America - see these people have no idea of contemporary Mexico. So we went to an arts opening and some restaurants. The substantial working artist population in Zacatecas are certainly not straight-laced, most have studied and travelled in Europe/Asia or are from CDMX, a very international crowd. Being gay in Mexican cities warrants nary a look. Being from a Ucranian migrant family I do sort of imagine that Kiev they are wearing bubushkas and have no telephones.

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Zacatecas, Mexico
Casa Torres Hotel
Casa Torres Hotel
123 Reviews
Zacatecas, Mexico
Guanajuato
Guanajuato
Guanajuato, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report. I appreciated it, and it reminds me that Zac has bubbled up to the top of my Mexican to-visit list. Thanks also to Panch for the stories and perspective.

BC
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

I loved Zacatecas and think it is great you wrote a short trip report. I was very busy after my trip last spring and didn't write anything.

It is an amazing place. So much to do and see. And the food was fantastic, just the other day we were talking about one of our meals we had there, as it was so delicious. I was totally thrilled with the museum with all the Huichol exhibits.

Panch, I grew up with the word bubushka, but outside my home town have never heard anyone use it!

Mentioned in this post
Zacatecas
Zacatecas
Zacatecas, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

o no pumper - you are a uke? oh no!!! Yes I am a Ucranian American, spoke the lingo too as a kid - but in the 1960´s USA assimilation was the rule so sort of avoided it - when I go to US

http://www.holyghost-ukrainian-catholic.org/

well everybody at Holy Ghost knows me and I have to eat all that horrible stuff, the pidohe, pierogies.

Do like that they call it Holy Ghost vs spirit or something - its a fairly scary place...

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
BC
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

No I am not, but many best friends were. And my first landlord. In our group of friends everyone was an honourary U, and had ski added to their last name for fun. Many celebrated both Christmases, so had double the food and fun. And oh, the weddings, everyone was invited, so sometimes 500 people.

Canada is big on multiculturalism, as kids we learned that this was one of the major differences from the usa, and we had festivals to celebrate the ethnicities. My first visit to Mexico in 1980, I met a couple on the beach from Philadelphia who found out where I was from and were very excited, because they were active in a group to promote Ukrainian culture in the usa and knew my city had so much of it.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
16 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report

Nice you did the report. I went there last year at this very time - the start of Semana Santa, and it was such a great trip. I loved the city, the food was great, and there was so much to do in such a compact area. Having the festival going on made it all the better. Lovely place. I only regret that I did not do a side trip to Jerez. Didn't even know about the beer tour. That would have been great.

Reply to: Zacatecas: A Brief Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zacatecas