We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
44 reviews
Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

We spent from Jan. 18 to Mar. 2 in this beautiful part of the world. We were a month in Playa del Carmen and stayed at Club Yebo Hotel. This is a great place, very short walk to the beach, 5th Avenue, Walmart and great to get out and just explore. We had a studio room and the hotel has a pool and nice sitting areas.

In this month we did so many great things. We took the bus into Cancun and explored the Hotel Zone and went out on a boat snorkeling. We took the collectivo to Tulum Ruins and spent the afternoon on the beach. The ruins are as lovely as ever and the Tulum beach is very hard to beat. We did take the bus to Chichen Itza late one afternoon so we could go to the light show in the evening. We overnighted it at the Dolores Alba and they provide transportation to the site for the light show and back for just a few dollars. The next morning we were at the gates as as the site was opening and we had a wonderful guide take us around before the huge crowds came in. I would strongly recommend doing it this was. One day we took the collectivo to Puerto Morelos and went to the Croc Zoo and this was very good. You have a guide and you can hold snakes and lizards. You get very up close with the Croc's and monkeys. Great place and very knowledgeable staff. We then went in town and explored the area and enjoyed seeing something a little different.

I have to tell you that the highlight of all excursions was a trip to the Jungle Place. Here you meet a wonderful couple that rescue spider monkeys and you get to go in and interact with the monkeys. You do have to make arrangements in advance so if interested look up the Jungle Place and make the arrangements at least 6 to 8 weeks in advance. Web site is info@thejungleplace.com

We took collectivos to Akumal a couple to times to explore and went snorkeling in the Yal-Ku lagoon. Great way to spend the afternoon in a lovely setting and lots of fish to see. We also took the collectivo to Xel Ha for the entire day. This is a lovely park with a great river tube float and the snorkeling was pretty good. The nice thing about this park is once you pay your entrance fee everything is included so all meals, snacks, drinks and towels and snorkel gear.

As a rule I never make much comment on food or restaurnts but I have to tell you about the Alux Cavern Restaurant. This is a little off the beaten tourist area of Playa but just a short cab ride and it is so beautiful. Underground cavern that is a dream come true for a romantic dining experince and wonder staff.

Next we were off to Isla Holbox for a week. We did arrange a private transfer to get to the ferry and we were very pleased with how it all went. We got to see the making of charcoal along the way and some of the oldest trees in Mexico. We arrivied at the ferry and it takes about 25 minutes to get across. When we arrived a golf cart taxi took us to Villas Los Mapaches Hotel. This was a great place on the beach and easy walking distance to everything. Be aware the stories you hear about the see grass of the beaches is correct. Once you get through it the water is great. We rented a golf cart two different times. First time we just explored the Island and and alot of fun doing so. The next time we went down past the Ferry Terminal and walked out to the sand bar. Great for shell collecting and you can spend hours walking in the shallow warm water. Holbox is not for everyone but if you want a true Mexican week this is the place to be.

Our last week was spent on Isla Mujeres at the Hotel Frances Arlene. This is right in town and easy walking distance to all shops, resturants and beaches. Here too we rented a golf cart for a day explored the entire Island. We went to the Turtle center and just explored all parts of this beautiful place. The beach is wonderful and never did the Island seem crowded of over comercialized.

I know this is a long report and I have only touched on things. Any info or questions please PM me and I will make sure to do my best to help out.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
141 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

A 6-week-holiday seems perfect, especially if you can schedule it several times a year!

Very glad you you were able to see the 'real' Mexico in Holbox and that you saw Chichen without the crowds.

You packed a lot in, I'm sure you have plenty of great memories. Thanks for posting.

Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

Unfortunatly I can only do this once a year but I would highly recomend doing it this way. You are not rushed to do things and you can plan what is really important to you. Wendy

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

Thanks for the report. I'm glad everthing worked out great and you gave us some details that added substance to your trip. And no, I did not think it was too long of a report.

Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

I loved your report of your vacation :-) We spent 4 weeks in the Yucatan area this year didn't venture out as much as we have in previous years but spent alot of good times with our Mexican friends. We traveled Mexico about 6 years ago for 4 months and didn't leave out one single state and stayed in many little villages and would do it all over again if my husband wasn't a slave driver at work. Oh i luv Mexico.....

Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

Many thanks for your kind words. I will admit I capped alot of info but I feel if anyone really want info they will PM me. I would go back in a minute if I could but now looking at other destinations. Wendy

Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
44 reviews
7. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

btt

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
111 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

Loved your 6 week report. Can I ask you what you had to pay at the Club Yebo Hotel for one month and do you have the exact address?? We are looking to rent by the month next winter. Thanks for your help.

9. Re: Trip Report of a Wonderful 6 Weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 12:11