We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Has anyone heard about these Starwood haciendas? We were trying to incorporate a couple of them into our plans - Temozon near Uxmal and San Jose near Tixkokob/Izamal. However, it looks like we may only be able to stay at one - Temozon works great with our itinerary but we are not sure which is the better overall hotel experience - can anyone compare the two?

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
157 reviews
1. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Both are very luxurious haciendas with excellent spas. Temozon is larger and more spread out, while San Jose is more lush and green. Food at Temozon is good but very expensive for what you get and as usual (for this area), the service in the restaurant is not up to the property's luxe category.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Hi Bill!! Thank you for replying - just catching up here on TA and see there is a PM as well. The feedback on the Haciendas is much appreciated - will respond shortly.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
3. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Have been trying to pull our family away from San Jose to reduce the number of stops on our trip - just wondering - how far away would the San Jose hacienda be from Chichen Itza and Ek Balam? How long would the drive take? Would it work to scrap the accommodations near Chichen Itza and see the following areas from Temozon?

- Izamal

- Chichen Itza

- Ek Balam

- Valledolid

- Cenote Ik Kil, Dzitnup, etc.

- Xcalacoop

We do have an eye toward some accommodations at Chichen Itza - looks like Hotel Okaan - tried to book right at Chichen Itza but the hotel made a mistake with our reservation unfortunately. Okaan is 10 to 15 minutes from the ruins.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
4. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

It's a drivable distance, but it would be a long day. I sometimes use Merida as a base and make day trips to Chichen and environs.

By the way, why are you going to Xcalacoop? I know a few people who live there, but I don't think there's anything tourist-related.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,681 posts
159 reviews
5. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

I was wondering the same EJ. Thought I must have missed somethng there.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Hi Guys,

We are going to be doing some community work in the village for a 1/2 day or so and this is our reason for stopping off there.

About the San Jose question...

IWhen we could not find a good spot for the kids to stay with us in Merida, we looked at Hacienda San Jose as an alternative (e.g. see Izamal from there and drive to and from Merida). Then we found a spot that would accommodate us close to el Centro.

This eliminated the need for San Jose (SJ). But it looks so nice there.

We are currently slated to stay Tulum - Chichen - Merida - Uxmal (then to Holbox for beach time before going home). We have slated in this number of stops because normally we are not keen on driving long distances to see what we want - e.g. staying at Hacienda Temozon leaves us a 40 minute drive to the ruins, rather than the 1 1/2 hour drive from Merida. Staying near Chichen puts us in reach of our stops as well.

I was thinking I might be able to eliminate the stay in Chichen somehow, and see everything there, plus Izamal, from San Jose but the drive times sound long.

The trouble is, there is a lot to do around Chichen - our community stop, the ruins, Ik-Kil, and not to mention the visit to Coba and Valledolid on the way to Chichen Itza.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
7. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

It sounds like you answered your own question. And as Xcalacoop and Ik Kil are between Oka'an and Chichen, it seems like an ideal location to use as a base in the area.

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

Looks like our community activity has been cancel due to a lack of available volunteers. Do you know of any opportunities to give gifts or donations to the children and families in any of the villages in and around Chichen Itza, or around Tulum for that matter?

Any reply is most appreciated once again.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
9. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

I'm in Yucatan now. Let me know when you plan to be in the Chichen area, and I'll see if I can find something.

10. Re: Hacienda San Jose versus Temozon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 02:12