We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern baja travel issues

Wilmington, North...
1 post
Northern baja travel issues

Staying at a condo at K38 near rosarita beach in july. Renting a car and driving from san diego. Are there still travel issues from the border to rosarita? Will be traveling during the day but I am still hearing about car jacking, bribes, fake cops, etc.

Hillsborough, North...
Level Contributor
3,166 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Northern baja travel issues

i havent done the drive across the border in about a year,but I have not heard of any recent problems.I live 2 hours drive from the border crossing and when things happen it makes the news,so no problems.Alot of rental cars DO NOT allow you to cross the border,but if you do ,you need to purchase Mexican liability insurance,many places to buy it right before crossing.You American insurance or the insurance provided thru your credit card is not accepted in Mexico.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Northern baja travel issues

You are staying where we live. We drive back and forth all the time; when we're "in residence," we cross the border to go to San Diego and back several times a week: movies, shopping, doctors, etc. Neither we nor our friends feel unsafe--and we know a lot of people, so that's a lot of crossings every week. Feel safe and come on down.

I'll also be sending you mail, top right hand side of this screen.

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Northern baja travel issues

The insurance on your credit card may well cover the vehicle itself; it's a question of whether the rental car company will allow that coverage on the vehicle. The Mexican 3rd party liability insurance is for damage you do to others or their property (not the vehicle itself). The rental car company will insist that you purchase that insurance also. The insurance you can purchase on your own at the border will NOT do because you do not own the vehicle. It has to come from the rental car company, and it will be a Mexican insurer.

The 3rd party liability is the only insurance the Mexican police care about; they are absolutely unconcerned about the vehicle itself. If you have 3rd party liability, you don't go to jail; if you don't have it, you do go to jail if there is an accident--even if it is not your fault.

If you fail to notify the rental company that the car is going over the border into Mexico, the contract will not be valid if there is an accident. You will be entirely on your own-----not a good place to be.

3 posts
1 review
4. Re: Northern baja travel issues

Don't know about Northern Baja, but my husband and I got pulled over and extorted by the police in Todos Santos. Be careful.

We did nothing wrong. He just wanted our money.

5. Re: Northern baja travel issues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Baja California Norte
More Baja California Norte Topics