We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or credit/debit card

Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Topic
Cash or credit/debit card

Hi

We are planning a weekend break to Crete soon and I was wondering if restaurants etc take credit and debit cards as normal or should we bring more cash than we normally would.

Many thanks

Siobhan

5 replies to this topic
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or credit/debit card

Hi Siobhan

Cash is king in Crete, so I would bring euros cash with you - and bring your cc as a back up and to use for any large purchases.

Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or credit/debit card

Many thanks for your quick reply. We haven't been to Greece for 18 years so I expect there will be some changes.

Just a quick break because we got a good deal staying at Domes Noruz Chania because it's a new hotel. At the moment we can only take short breaks.

Looking forward to it because we used to go to Greece regularly and my husband hasn't been to Crete.

Great looking cat!

Regards

Siobhan

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,116 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or credit/debit card

Your very welcome :-) Enjoy Chania its a beautiful town - and if you need any other info then do just ask, I have only stayed in Chania a couple of times, but we have lots of posters who are regulars and also a few residents too :-)

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or credit/debit card

In Chania most restaurants, tavernas etc accept credit/debit cards readily. However you will get a better exchange rate if you buy euros at home before you travel. You can get cash from the many ATMs in the town but if you do use the bank machines rather than the independent ones.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or credit/debit card

I don't like using cards abroad so I took euros and carried it all around with me as Chania is so safe.

Reply to: Cash or credit/debit card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agii Apostoli