We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro exchange rate

Dorset
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Euro exchange rate

This is probably a very silly question but not having traveled within the Euro zone for some years, I have to ask the question. Does the exchange rate of the Euro in the UK differ to the exchange rate in Crete ? When we have traveled previously we have exchanged our currency when we have reached our destination and got a better rate but I’m not sure if it’s the same for the Euro.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
4 replies to this topic
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro exchange rate

From my experiences over the past few years there is very little difference overall whether purchased at home or in resort via hole in the wall machines. If doing it in Crete be careful which machines you use as some of them have outrageous charges. Always use machines associated with banks.

I can't remember the name of the one's to avoid but I'm sure somebody will be along soon with the name.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
23,737 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro exchange rate

For Crete generally speaking you get a better exchange rate in the UK than you do when you get there.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euro exchange rate

You get less for cash, a better rate from the ATM if you follow this, but also depends on what your card issuer charges, Greek bank ATMs don’t charge,

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

Dorset
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euro exchange rate

Many thanks

Reply to: Euro exchange rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agii Apostoli