We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

Greetings all

We are a UK based family coming over the area AppX 17-28 Dec this year, kids are boy of 4 and girl of 10. I am the planner , my wife leaves it to me .

Basically, the idea is we arrive San Fran by plane late 16th Dec , this is all that is booked so far ; then

3-4 nights based in San Fran , check it out as tourists .

Then , hire an RV to see nature .. my thinking is Tahoe and Yosemite - none of us have been here

Is the weather an issue ?

Then , around 28th Dec , fly to see Grand Canyon, 1-2 night’s , then fly to Miami where we have friends

Any comments, useful suggestions?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
8 replies to this topic
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

Personally, I would not want to be driving an RV around Tahoe during Christmas week. I do see them in winter every once in a while but they tend to be the ones driven by 'ski bums'. Weather can definitely be an issue as both areas are subject to snow and road closures. The other issues are campground availability and traffic; both areas are popular during the Christmas holiday and many campgrounds close for the winter. I would suggest renting an AWD/4WD vehicle and booking hotels; save the RV adventure for summer.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 20:12
Munich
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

No, don't rent an RV in wintertime. You could have freezing temperatures and all your pipes freeze. This could be a very expensive trip.

Beate

LA
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

RV parks are closed in Tahoe in winter. There's a good reason for that.

And RV is not a suitable choice for either Tahoe or Yosemite in winter

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

Thanks for the advice . RV not recommended.

Apart from Yosemite and Tahoe , any other nature treasures that are ‘ must see ‘ ? Heard good things about Oregon coast .

Mentioned in this post
LA
Level Contributor
11,557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

Oregon Coast very drab, grey, cold, and rainy in December

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

>>Heard good things about Oregon coast .<<

Which is hours and hours of driving away from San FranCISCO. For gorgeous coastline that is much more convenient to SF, look into Big Sur. How many days do you have for this portion (after SF, before flying to the Grand Canyon)?

It looks like close to a week, so you could reasonably: drive to Santa Barbara (2 nights), drive to Pismo Beach (1 night), drive through Big Sur to Monterey (2 nights), return to SF for your flight to Las Vegas (for the Canyon). If you have less time, you could easily spend 3 nights in Monterey, exploring Big Sur as a day trip.

(You also might run into snow at the Canyon, and might want a night in Las Vegas before and after your nights at the Canyon, so this portion might be a little longer than you anticipate.)

Edited: 06 August 2018, 00:10
Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

Thanks to SFSusan.. we have a week for the nature / sightseeing section. I thought RV to obviate the need

to book hotels over Xmas - might be full or closed. Was not intending to stay in Vegas, that place always struck me as the epitome of greed , form over function . Can it be avoided going to Grand Canyon ?

Note , for us adults , it could be a once in a lifetime tour. Soon after meeting my wife in London, I wanted

to take her to NY . The US embassy in London decided an educated far Eastern woman from a civilised background was a danger to the US and refused her entry. I offered a reasonable forfeit on my part should she not return , but that wasn't entertained. That was 2007 and neither of us have been since

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2018, 21:10

Reply to: Tahoe , San Fran and into GC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted