We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
335 posts
108 reviews
What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

Thinking of spending the week in north Tahoe the week of Christmas with my husband.

- what are the road conditions like from Reno and/or Sacramento?

- assuming most everything stays open since it’s a tourist area? Am I right?

- is there usually snow? I know it’s hard to predict, but what we’re the last 5 Christmases like? Snow/no show?

- are there any hiking trails open/warm enough in the winter? Thinking some mid day hikes 1-3 hours max.

Thanks all!

5 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,323 posts
6,456 reviews
1. Re: What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

Snow and ice are possible around the holidays.

There are holiday activities around the Lake.

Here's an article from the past

https:/…

Look for a similar article later this year - too early for 2018/19 season.

Usual snow? It depends. We can have snow. And while it used to be yes, during our drought years no.

So it depends. The last five have been some snow years, some drought years.

And hiking trails depends on the snow level and type of weather. Its too early to advise. Do you do snow shoes as hiking with snow shoes allows for more possibilities to do hikes.

Lake Tahoe is a popular place to go at the holidays

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,863 posts
441 reviews
2. Re: What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

Like being at the North Pole with Santa! :)

Everything is open during Christmas week, it is a huge time of the year. The same things that are closed on Christmas Day in Ft Lauderdale are probably closed in Tahoe, but most restaurants will be open Christmas Day.

There should be snow, but we are in a serious drought cycle right now.

LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
3. Re: What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

1. It's a very very busy time of year. And prices will be high for these popular vacation weeks.

2. Often, there is no snow. The biggest snow months are January and February, but it's impossible to predict road conditions for that week

3. Hiking is really altitude-dependent. Tahoe is at 6200 ft and most Tahoe hikes tend to go up in elevation. Trails best for hiking are PROBABLY below 4500 ft, but it just so depends on the weather. I just wouid never plan on hiking in Tahoe for the Christmas week.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

I would advise flying into Reno. It’s closer and if it does snow, the likelihood of the road closing is less coming from that direction (vs. from Sac). There’s great snowshoeing all around and plenty of mountain adventure to be had. Visit the village at Northstar to get yourself a s’mores and do some ice skating, head up the gondola at Squaw, have an amazing meal in downtown Truckee. Tahoe is an epic place to visit anytime of the year - rent a 4wd just in case.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?

>>I would advise flying into Reno. It’s closer and if it does snow, the likelihood of the road closing is less coming from that direction (vs. from Sac).<<

So very true. There is normally some snow by Christmas, at least at the ski resorts where they will be making it. Its also a really busy time of year for the area so make reservations early and expect higher prices. North Tahoe is just as busy as South Lake, its just smaller so feels less crowded.

Reply to: What’s north Tahoe like at Christmas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Tahoe (California)