We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?

vancouver
Level Contributor
599 posts
Save Topic
Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?

Just wondering if South Lake Tahoe is smokey from the forest fires? Heading there mid Aug?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
South Lake Tahoe
South Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
4 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29,461 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?

Today really has no relevance for mid August, but I’m typing this from my chair on the beach at the Edgewood. It’s a little Smokey but not bad at all. I drove up from SF this morning so just got here, the bellman told me a couple of days ago it was really smokey, just depends on the winds, the fires etc.

vancouver
Level Contributor
599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?

thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?

The days vary based on the wind and burn in Yosemite. It has been very Smokey the last couple days so I would not plan on any rigorous activity (biking large hills, running, etc). Health wise I would be cautious but not let it deter you. On the other hand, the smoke is putting a damper on the visual aspects of visiting Lake Tahoe so it’s a bummer that you can’t see the mountains or across the lake.

It’s still an amazing place to visit so I would still come and enjoy yourself. Just be prepared to not have as great of outdoor photos as seen.

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?

We are in Tahoe vista today 8/6 and it is very smoky hazy & hard to see the lake and mountain views. Don't feel comfortable hiking I don't want to breathe in all the smoke. Kind of a bummer actually. Sadly it's the new normal for California due to climate change.

Mentioned in this post
Tahoe Vista
Tahoe Vista
Lake Tahoe (California), CA
California
California
United States
Reply to: Is Lake Tahoe South smokey from the fires?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted