We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Nova Scotia: need help with itinerary!

4 posts
Save Topic
8 days in Nova Scotia: need help with itinerary!

My husband and I are planning a trip to NS in July. We have 8 days and are trying to maximize our time. I would appreciate any input on an itinerary.

Here's what we have so far:

arriving Halifax at 3 pm 7/17

depart from Halifax at 5 pm on 7/24

Would like to see the key points: Halifax,Peggy's Cove, Bay of Fundy, Lunenburg, whale watching, Cape Breton/Cabot Trail and PEI if possible.

Not sure if its too much to cover.

It's just the two of us. We are interested in exploring nature, enjoying the local culture.

Open to any suggestions from those in the know! Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Peggy's Cove
Peggy's Cove
Halifax Region, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,433 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
1 reply
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Nova Scotia: need help with itinerary!

I think you might be a bit crunched for time looking at your dates, it looks like you really only have 5 days. Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg are fairly close together so you might be able to combine them in to one day trip. We saw the Bay of Fundy on the Nova Scotia side and it was a day trip.

Realistically speaking, You probably have time for whale watching, Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, Bay of Fundy and Halifax. I don't think you will have time to do PEI or the Cabot Trail.

Most people recommend two to three days to do the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island and it also takes a significant amount of time to drive from Halifax to Cape Breton Island. I don't think you will be able to do the Cabot Trail.

The drive from Halifax to PEI is about 3 and a half hours or drive 2 hours to Caribou, NS and then take the ferry from there to PEI (1 hour or 15 minutes). I think it would very difficult to do a day trip to PEI so I would budget at least 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Peggy's Cove
Peggy's Cove
Halifax Region, Canada
Lunenburg
Lunenburg
Southwest Nova Scotia, Canada
Halifax
Halifax
Halifax Region, Canada
Cabot Trail
Cabot Trail
1,433 Reviews
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cape Breton Island
Cape Breton Island
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply to: 8 days in Nova Scotia: need help with itinerary!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Halifax Region
More Halifax Region Topics
;