We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

Hi,

We'll be travelling through the Rockies from Calgary to Jasper and back and are wondering if the scenery will be similar to the Yukon's. The reason for the question is that we're also taking an Alaskan cruise that stops at Skagway and can't decide whether to do just the White Pass Summit Bus & Rail Excursion or the more expensive Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion, which includes stops at Fraser, Carcross and Emerald Lake. So is the Yukon worth seeing if we're already doing the Rockies?

Thanks for any help.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

The Yukon is like no other scenery, I really cannot compare it to any other place I have traveled........I encourage you to take the longest tour you can afford and go as far as you can into the Yukon.......You will only be "scratching the surface" on a day trip....

Edited: 29 April 2012, 20:26
Western Australia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

Thank you for your opinion, Mombear. We'll take your advice! :)

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
793 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

The train and road trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake are great. It's mountains and big lakes. Very few people, contrary to British Columbia.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

I have to say, it is HARD to beat the magic of the Rockies, especially around the Jasper area. One of my favourites, been there many times as I grew up around the area. I guess I would say that the Yukon is just... different.

The mountains around Jasper are larger than what you'll see in Skagway and as you get closer to Whitehorse, they become more like "large, rolling hills." Pretty different terrain than what you'll see right in Jasper.

I would say come to the Yukon if you are interested in the history of the area. The Yukon just has a certain "feel" to it, I don't really know how to describe it! But you would certainly get a taste of it on an excursion up this way. It would depend on your tour guide as well, if they really know and share the history, you will be traveling through some amazingly significant historical sites.

Carcross is a cool little town too, I bet they take you to check out the sled dog tours (one of my faves, but I'm biased... have dogs of my own, so sled dog tours are always great, haha). I haven't been but I hear the wildlife museum there makes for a good visit.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
1,110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

I have yet to do the yukon, but I consider the drive from Banff to Jasper one of the most beautiful i have seen, especially if you have time to go for a hike or two to get away from people. Banff and Lake Louise can be crowded (worth to see Lake Louise and the area), but you can easily get away from crowds.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

We are planning to drive from Seattle to Anchorage in mid March and was wondering if anyone on this forum has made this trip. Will it be a scenic drive, how should we prepare and most importantly, should we do it. Flying and ferry are very expensive so we thought this might be a cost-effective alternative.

Jim

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

Hi elwood-emily ~

You have come on to a discussion for another poster that is now considered quite old.

You will be better off asking your new question in a new thread as your topic is different. Click on the blue print "ask a question" below the reply box, compose an effective subject line and post your question there. That way you will have your own visibility on the forum and will not be hidden down here #6. Posters will then address "your" question.

I would also suggest you post on the Road Trip Forum, due to the road trip nature of your question. There are many posters there with a lot of experience "on the road." The short cut is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Edited: 11 December 2012, 08:44
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

It's not the same route, but it's a recent thread on driving in the north in winter: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g154966-i1934-k5906…

The short answer is "no", it wouldn't be recommended as a leisure trip at that time of year.

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
793 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

Seattle - Anchorage is not a drive I would do in March unless I have no choice. Although the road is quite good, it may close occasionaly for up to a day because of snow or wind. Some roadside lodges are closed so you have to gas-up and sleep in towns. You could fly to Alaska then rent a car for a week to drive around.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
26 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yukon scenery vs Canadian Rockies

Thank You. From the feedback I'm getting it looks like we'll be flying and just have to bite the airfare bullet.

Thanks