We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

NYC
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Quebec City over New Year's Eve weekend (4 nights) and we are having a hard time deciding between these two seemingly great properties. I am leaning towards the Frontenac because I think it would may be a little more festive and decorated for the holidays (I am a sucker for Christmas decorations). My husband likes the room at the Auberge Saint-Antoine much more than the room we would be staying in at the Frontenac. We are also thinking maybe we spend 2 nights in each place, and experience both. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

Hi Mackkt,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM.

There are certainly a lot of things that can be said about staying at the Chateau Frontenac… the Oldest Hotel in Canada’s Oldest City… the most photographed in the world… Chateauesque almost Castle-like with its unique rooms and nooks & crannies.

And NO WHERE in Quebec City is quite so magical at Christmastime.

All that aside… you’ll want to also take a look at the TA HOTEL REVIEWS and the current rankings (as of Today – Monday, November 1, 2010 as of just after 9:30 PM EDT)…

FAIRMONT LE CHATEAU FRONTENAC – Ranked at # 13 out of 86 Hotels for Quebec City. A 4 Star Hotel (as awarded by the Hotel Industry based on facilities). This Hotel has 4-1/2 HOOTS for Satisfaction as awarded by TA Members like yourself who have submitted HOTEL REVIEWS. Todate there are 475 Reviews, of that 266 gave it an Excellent and 112 a Very Good, which accounts for its 87% Thumbs Up recommendation. The latest Review is dated October 30, 2010.

AUBERGE SAINT-ANTOINE – Ranked at # 3 out of 86 Hotels for Quebec City… a 4 Star Hotel with 5 HOOTS for TA Member Satisfaction. Todate there are 266 Reviews, of that 220 gave it an Excellent, and 30 a Very Good… which accounts for its 95% Thumbs Up recommendation. The latest Review is dated October 27, 2010. As well this Hotel was a TA 2010 TRAVELERS’ CHOICE WINNER in BOTH the Best Service & Luxury Categories.

As you can see, the Auberge Saint-Antoine slightly outranks the Chateau Frontenac… so indeed both you and Hubby both have valid points in the discussion… still though I know where my heart would be… if the choice was mine… you’d find me at the Chateau over Christmas.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

Agree with Wine-4-2 at Christmas time my choice would be The Chateau Frontenac. You have all of the upper city close by and easy access to the lower city via the funicular.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

In the same class of hotel in Quebec, there is le 71, le Dominion and Auberge Place d'Armes all 4 stars hotels.

Le Dominion, Auberge St-Antoine nominated by the Condé Nast in the best hotels of the year. Auberge St-Antoine and Auberge Place d'Armes nominated by the National Geographic Traveler in their Stay List of hotels that you have to stay in North America. Le Chateau nominated also by Condé Nast and Travel +Leisure magazine in 2009. All good reference: It's really difficult to choose, the iconic castle or a smaller boutique hotel member of the Relais and Chateaux. Really a matter of taste! and mine is for a boutique hotel.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,137 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

Hello mackkt.

That's a tuff one, both hotels are quite beautiful. One thing that you might want to consider to help make your decision is the Frontenac is considerably larger that the Saint-Antoine and will have many more people around and it will generally be much livelier and busier. The Saint-Antoine is more intimate and romantic and will have a more relaxing vibe. Same as the Germain-Dominion...another gorgeous hotel and it is also a very romantic and a relaxing place to stay...and it has a great atmosphere during the holidays which I experienced first hand and enjoyed it so much. I wouldn't recommend moving if you can help it because it will be a hassle to have to take the time to pack up when you could use the time to be out and about experiencing as much of the city as possible.

Good luck!

Edited: 02 November 2010, 10:44
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

My vote is always the Frontenac, though I know they have terrific rooms at the St. Antoine, and their restaurant, Panache, is one of the top rated restaurants in the province. If you are in a standard Fairmont room ,yes it could be smaller, though because the Chateau has all sorts of different nooks and crannies, you could actually end up with a standard room that might be bigger than most.

One thing to do, which might help you get a larger room, is to join the Fairmont's President club. It is free and they offer many upgrades to members. Right after we first joined we got a standard room that was the size of a studio apartment. Also, they do tend to put Prsident club members in areas with better views and amenities.

Finally, I also agree that the Chateau will be heavily decorated and festive, both inside and out.

Enjoy!!

JDP

NYC
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

Thanks everyone for the advice - I only wish I had decisions to make such as this every time we went on vacation!! We may just split the time between the two - we have become expert vacation packers and it really shouldn't take us very long to pack up and move up the hill to the Frontenac. I am wondering about the difference in the location of the two hotels is, Upper Town v. Lower Town. Is one area better than the other for certain things?

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

I find the lower town to be quieter and less touristry than the upper town. The lower town has its own character and charm, The Museum of Civilization, Place Royale (the birthplace of Quebec) Petite Champlain with its quaint shops and always decorated for xmas, Rue St.Paul with its restaurants and antique/art shops, a very nice market always a nice place to visit. There are also good restaurants in lower town.

In the upper town at the Chateau Frontenac you have very easy access to the lower town via the funicular which is very close to the hotel,more restaurants than you could ever use,you can walk atop portions of the old wall,you have the Grand Allee with more good rest. and the Plains of Abraham,parliament buildings and the beautiful Mourney fountain and lots of shopping along Rue St.Jean. Myself I love the lower town but almost always stay in the upper town. Just a personal preference I guess.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

Travelrrr described it perfectly and I agree about staying in Upper Town also. Lower town, while wonderful, and having some terrific outdoor cafe choices, which won't help during New Year's, is indeed smaller and will be much more quieter than Upper town. It is also simply easier to duck in and out of places in Upper town as it will be cold around New Years. And there is much more to do in Upper town as well, though the site of Petit Champlain all lighted up in Lower town will indeed be hard to beat.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,559 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

In summer both Upper and Lower town have their + and - but comes the cold weather I think that Upper Town then wins, after all this is where the action is and the Chateau the real center of everything.

You wrote 4 nights for New Year so I wuld just suggest, if feasible, to book your stay at the Chateau on the eve and day of New Year (Dec 31-Jan1) if you want a lot of actions, with the balls, dinners and brunches. While if you want to attend the fireworks and other outside activities then I would pick the Saint-Antoine for those 2 nights.

10. Re: Chateau Frontenac or Auberge Saint-Antoine?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 10:47