We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas day Mass

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
470 posts
44 reviews
Christmas day Mass

Does anyone know if there are any Masses in English at the Basilique notre-dame-de-quebec? Is it within walking distance of the chateau Frontenac? How would I go about finding a schedule of services?

Thank you

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
1. Re: Christmas day Mass

The cathedral is less than 5 minutes from the Château. I am not aware of any services in English, for this you will have to go next door... at the Anglican cathedral! lol

You mention the Chateau Frontenac, is it where you will stay? If so then I strongly suggest that you join the Fairmont President's Club and a few days later call the concierge at the hotel, mentioning your membership and asking if he/she can provide you with masses schedules, and some possibilities in English (Catholic) as there might still be an English congregation not too far.

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
470 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: Christmas day Mass

Thanks rickb,

Yes, we are staying at the Chateau. I am already a member of the President's club and will definitely check with the concierge when we get there.

on the 23rd.

Rimouski (Québec)
Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Christmas day Mass

The following link will take you to a list of religious services in English:

lifeinquebec.com/news/….

Each parish listed at this link has either a website or a telephone number.

The St. Patrick church on rue de Salaberry would be the closest one to Château Frontenac although you will propably need a cab to get there. I would say it's at least a 45 minute walk.

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
4. Re: Christmas day Mass

Robeli...Thanks for that link. What a neat website. I will put it in my favourites.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,231 posts
124 reviews
5. Re: Christmas day Mass

Hello travelpatty.

There are no English masses at the Notre Dame. If you are thinking of a mass for Christmas in particular, I talked to one of the priests a few weeks ago and there is a mass at 8:00 and 10:00 p.m. and at midnight on the 24th. The 8:00 mass apparently is the one that is the most crowded. I was also told to arrive 30 to 45 minutes ahead of the masses on Christmas Eve. Even though the mass is in French, I would still recommend going to the Notre Dame, it is a beautiful church. My French is not the best to say the least and I went to a french mass in Quebec two years ago and it was a great experience. And yes very walkable from the Frontenac.

Edited: 07 November 2010, 09:24
6. Re: Christmas day Mass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2011, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City