We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Quebec City

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
78 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Quebec City

Looked through some other posts and it certainly looks like spending Christmas here will be a nice trip for my wife, 12 yo son and I.

I figure we will stay at the Frontenac as it seems to be the place to stay, and although it was a very long time ago, I stayed here with my parents when I was young.

Our schedule would be to drive from Toronto, it's only the better part of a day to get there. Stay 4 or 5 days then head out to Mount St Anne for a couple of days. My son has been dying to learn to snowboard, so this would be a big treat for him.

I assume the 24th things close up early, and the 25th we would be relying on lounging and dining at the hotel as typically everything is closed that day. Are all the shops and antique shops open on the 26th (boxing day) or will that be another very quiet day?

Are there any special things or happenings we should look for on any of these days?

Thanks

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$ 91.10*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
892 Reviews
from US$ 45.50*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
677 Reviews
from US$ 24.54*
Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Quebec City

Hello adovdo.

There were a few recent posts about Christmas in Quebec City that may give you a starting point. Here are the links.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k3966…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k3968…

And if you type in 'Christmas' in the Quebec City forum search option, you will get all kinds of previous postings on this topic that will prove to be very helpful.

During the holidays the Frontenac has a desk set up in their lobby with all kinds of information on skiing and winter activities. You can also talk to the concierge at the hotel for help with activities going on while you're in the city.

You will love being in this beautiful city at Christmas time. I have been to Quebec City during the holidays and it is a spectacular place at that time of year ....actually it is pretty spectacular any time of the year!!

To answer a few of your questions...Most restaurants are open Christmas Eve and most of the stores and shopping are open Christmas Eve as well ...and they do close earlier than usual...if my memory serves me right most close around the 5:00ish time on Christmas Eve. On Christmas Day you will find the odd little boutique that is open, but most are closed. On Boxing Day there are many stores open for their annual sales. As far as the antique stores...there are several in the Rue Saint Paul and Rue Saint Pierre area, but they are not always open. I would suggest you call ahead if there is a specific one you are interested in. Getting back to dining...I would suggest booking your dinner for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ahead of time,especially if you plan to dine somewhere other than the Frontenac.

The following sites might also help to give you more ideas.

quebecregion.com/en/…

bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/…

I hope this helps a little. Good luck planning your trip!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Quebec City

It would be wonderful to spend Christmas in Quebec City. Myself I would not be too keen on driving to Q.C.at that time of year. Do hope the weather will be fine for driving and then lots of snow when you arrive in the city.

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
470 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Quebec City

We too will be staying in QC during Christmas (staying at the Chateau). From reading theses forums I was given the heads up that dining reservations should be made ahead of time. Like you I figured that we would just have dinner at the hotel on Christmas day. Several weeks ago I e-mailed for reservations and believe it or not there wasn't much availability. We had a choice of 5:30 or 9:00 PM only. We went with the earlier time. We also made a reservation for Christmas Eve at our favorite restaurant Panache.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Quebec City

Unless you want a complete change of pace or if there are budget considerations I don't suggest that you move to spend some night at Mont-Sainte-Anne. Commuting is so easy, not even the need to take your car as there is a shuttle. And at night you are back in the action.

Also you will be able to go to ski whenever your want and not only some days in a row. You can also throw in one day at Village-Vacances Val-Cartier that is a snow wonderland (in fact a water park that converts in snow and ice slides + skating in winter). Cross country skiing, snowshoeing, dog sledding and snowmobiles are all other kind of activities that are offered around, in Mont Sainte-Anne but at other places too. And there are aslo some other smalller ski resort nearby that might suit a family for one day. All of these, of course can be organized in advance with the Fairmont concierge.

As per dining yes reservations will be necessary for the traditional brunch at the Chateau on the 25 th but, as for Travelerr reservations they are probably for the 6 service gastronomic dinner at the Champlain restaurant, hence the fixed times needed.

On the 24th most stores will close at 5 (sometimes 4) and some restaurants are not opening for dinner or open for limited hours only (concierge help again even for restaurants that aren't on property). May I advise some Brittany crepes for one meal (like early on the 24 th); there is one right next door to the Chateau but it seems that Au Petit Coin Breton, just 5 minutes walk away is better. Fondue is also a possibility one night too at Le Pain Béni, just a stone throw from the Chateau again. Oh finally a family restaurant that is not too far, with walk on a flat terrain, would be to go to family oriented Rôtissserie Saint-Hubert on Grande Allée. Saint-Hub has been a Qc institution for almost 60 years so you can count on it, specialty is rotisserie chicken but they serve almost everything else but the kitchen sink!

As per Boxing Day, stores opens at noon and it is sheer madness and, contrarly to some other parts of Canada or to the after Thanksgiving sales in the US, sales here extend for a week or too, except for the very special gizmos that are available in only limited numbers so no need to rush on the 24 th.

So as you see you can do a lot even on Christmas Day when everything is supposed to be closed. Actually 24, 25 and 26 would be great days to do some of the outside activities...

Enjoy your trip!

5. Re: Christmas in Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2011, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City