We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

Arizona
6 posts
Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

My 66 year old mother and are going to be staying at the chateau frontenac in december for three nights. Does anyone have some insight on the rooms? We've booked a deluxe old quebec double, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $40 a night. I guess we'd like a room that's not just your average holiday inn room.

Or if anyone knows of something comparable in price that would be a true old quebec expereince I'd love to know!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

This room probably means you are looking over Old Quebec and perhaps the inner courtyard. Not too bad.

Are you a member of the Fairmont's President's club? Membership is free and entitles you to additional perks, including calling the dedicated conceirage and getting even better deals. You might want to do that.

River view rooms are going to be the most expensive, but ask if you can get one overlooking the park next door as many of these rooms will include a view of the river also.

Other than that, if you can't get an upgrade or better room, you are still in one of the best places going. The service is wonderful, food is great, and there are some very nice shops. With the holiday lights both inside and out, not too forget the rest of the city, it should be a memorable experience.

Enjoy!!

JDP

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
2. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

Chateau Frontenac is the place to stay in Quebec City. It is a real landmark and a wonderful location. Everyone who visits Q.C. makes a point of visiting the hotel. To be staying there is great. Just steps from the hotel is the funicular to give access to the lower town.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

From staying at the CF several times I can tell you that none of the rooms are like a Holiday Inn. As the previous posters have indicated, it's a grand old hotel that's *the* place to stay in Quebec. It does sound like you have booked room with a view of the courtyard. The river view rooms give a great view of the river and city and are worth the splurge in my opinion.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,116 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

THere are no really bad rooms at the CF, even the cheapest have an interesting virew of something, even if it is rooves! My own thought about rooms with a view, and I have had both, is that you really don't stnd at the window gazing at the view for long, what would be the point. When you are tucked up in your beds, you will not care about the view either.

None of the rooms are like a holidya Inn and the chstistmas decor is simply lovely, I promise you will be blown away when you walk in the lobby. It is just so l beautiful and warm. I have stayed a few times in Decemeber and I have loved going to the bar, having a G&T and enjoying the seasonal ambience.

I try not to stay anywhere lese in QUebec City, I have but it's just not the same for me.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

I have slept in one of the rooms overlooking a dreary courtyards some years ago (it was over the top of the kitchens). Nothing to complain so much, the place was a little tired (they renovated soon afterward) but nice except for the absense of views and the very noisy wind.

Mind you all courtyards are not created equal and this one was the worst.

Another thing too is that the Chateau has been built and rebuilt over decades and so you won't find cookie cutter rooms there. The tower room are a bit more standard but you will find some of any tipe. Look at their virtual tours and you will see one located under a mansard roof for example.

So I really suggest that you join the President's Club since upon arrival your own check/in concierge will try to give you a room that match your needs within your budget. Example in some rooms you have a few stairs to climb to go to the bathroom so if it can cause inconvenience to your mother at night then they will find some other thing. Also city views are really nice too and, in fact I do prefer them to full front river view.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

Hi Baretta,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM.

When it comes to the Chateau Frontenac… nothing is cookie-cutter Holiday Inn-ish.

But neither is it trendy, stark or “boutique-like”.

To begin this is the Oldest Hotel in the Oldest City in North America (NA)… the most photographed Hotel in the world. With its majestic presence as it sits atop the cliff that is Quebec City overseeing the St Lawrence River… the largest River on the Eastern Seaboard of NA with its flamboyant chateauesque style (many compare it to a castle… a fair comparison as no 2 rooms at the Chateau are identical… all having their special nooks & crannies).

The Chateau is one of North America’s greatest Railway Hotels (circa 1893)… a golden time when Canada was prosperous at the close of the 1800s and the apex of the Victorian Age.

There is therefore a certain amount of opulence to the Chateau Frontenac that you won’t find in modern hotels of today… from the magnificent coffered ceiling in the Lobby to the brass of the elevators. You’ll quickly know you have been enveloped into another time and place.

Some refer to these great old Hotels as the “Grand Dames” (and that would certainly be a fitting title)… BUT when it comes to the Chateau Frontenac I much rather see a male figure… a remarkable statesman who although old, still stands tall and erect with his chest extended, and his shiny brass buttons and medals all aglow.

For me the Chateau Frontenac is probably very similar to whom it was named for… Louis de Baude – the Comte de Frontenac (Count of Frontenac)… who was the Gouvenor of New France in the late 1600s. By all accounts Frontenac was a tough man who took decisive actions when necessary… cleaned up pretty good for meet & greets… and was said to be popular with the people and have a warm heart & generous soul despite all the winds of change that blew his way.

The Chateau Frontenac is pretty much the same… Has a perfectly aligned military exterior… has a warm heart & generous soul as it welcomes all who visit… and stands the test of time against the many changes that blow thru Quebec City whatever the season.

If for no other reason than this one should visit this Hotel as it is a living piece of history.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS... Having stayed at the Chateau Frontenac I can tell you that the experience is quite unique (charming) and that the amenities (Beds - Linens - Marble Baths) are first rate... the Service also worthy of 5 Stars. The Chateau is my go-to place when in Old Quebec.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

Great posts from all my colleagues so far. I think where some criticize the Frontenac is room size. In fact it is a common complaint among alot of the Fairmont owned or managed hotels. Frankly it doesn't bother me as to be simply staying at the Frontenac, as indicated previously, is worth it. But other places might, in comparison, have standard rooms which might be bigger than some of the Chateau's. But even a smaller room, in my opinion, is unlike any other location. That, and what has been addressed previously, there are so many nooks and crannies there a standard room at the end of some hallway could almost be the size of a suite.

I know I've said this before but once we got a standard room,overlooking the courtyard, that required 2 elevators to reach, and it was the size of a suite. I had just joined the President's club, and the price was so low, I thought it was a mistake!!! But it wasn't.

Again, take the plunge. Your mother will thank you later.

JDP

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

I wholeheartedly agree with my fellow TAs above. We booked a night this past summer and it was a Fairmont room which is a step down from what you have booked, being a deluxe, and we were extremely happy with what we got. We were on the 4th floor in a "turret" room with two double beds overlooking the inner courtyard rooftop garden. We joined the President's Club before we went. You should too. It's FREE and there is a private check-in for President's Club members. They will work really hard to find the "right" room for you. I was given a choice of 4 rooms and we decided that a turret room would be neat. Write down your President's club member number on your confirmation (doesn't matter that you booked before you became a Pclub member) and take that with you. Head to the PClub private conceirge and you will be treated like gold. As said above, your mom will thank you. The CFrontenac is a wonderful place to stay, a real experience, for sure.

Hope this helps,

D in Muskoka

Arizona
6 posts
9. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

Thank you everyone!

10. Re: Rooms at the chateau frontenac?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City