We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closing of Terrasse Dufferin

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,771 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Closing of Terrasse Dufferin

Hello everybody.

Although I try to go to Qubec City as often as I can, I haven't been there for a while and this is an info that I got a few weeks ago but double checked only yesterday.

Part of Terrasse Dufferin has been closes for some time due to rebuild of the Terrasse after archeological digs in the last few years. The Terrasse actually covers part of Fort Saint-Louis, the first city fortification and Chateau Saint-Louis, the former governors residence and a big archeological project has been made with extensive survey of the area in the later part of the 2,000 s.

Now the federal government has provided fundings for the restauration of the Terrasse, the city gates and the fortifications (except for the Citadel proper). Worked started last spring and will actually make the digs open for visits in the future but will protect them with a concrete ceiling that will, itself, be covered with the traditional wooden planks of the Terrasse in such a fashion that the appearance will be exctly the same as before.

Even if work started in the spring most of the very heavy construction needing the almost complete closing of the Terrasse started only a few weeks ago. Also even if the Terrasse is entiredly closed, access to the upper station of the funicular wil be provided at all time.

Being curious about that and particularly pertaining to the snow slide at the far end that we always recommend to young visitors in winter I did some research yesterday and saw pictures that got my heart stop (wsell for just a few miliseconds). The Terrasse is totally eviscerated and the slide structure just ends at the bottom in a 20' + drop in the dig! May be they want to convert it into a thrill ride like Disney has done so much lately in it's parks!

Joke aside I just want to inform our visitors, to the best of my knowledge, that the slide will probably be a no no for this winter. I would also like to get feedbacks from residents if they know a bit more about the closing and possible reopening of this attraction.

Thanks everybody.

Mentioned in this post
Terrasse Dufferin
Terrasse Dufferin
2,918 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,771 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closing of Terrasse Dufferin

Anybody can tell me if the snow slide will be active this coming winter or will it be converted into a ski jump? That"s what it looks like nowadays!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,253 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closing of Terrasse Dufferin

I just returned from a weekend in Quebec City, the terrace isn't closed entirely, a passage is left to walk across it, reach the view point (which is as usual) and there is a path to the funicular (that's working normally). I don't know what the plans are for the slide though.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
3. Re: Closing of Terrasse Dufferin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 09:45
;