We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Cambridge MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Heading up to Quebec from Boston with 2 kids (8 & 14). Haven't been to Quebec in quite awhile and never in winter. It looks beautiful, but wondering what there is to do with kids during that week? (Music, food ,snow & events)

Staying at the Clarendon and will have a car as well to have access to things outside the city. Looking forward to our trip and appreciate any knowledge you could pass along.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,423 Reviews
from US$ 90.80*
Best Seller
Montmorency Falls and...
892 Reviews
from US$ 45.40*
Best Seller
Quebec Old City Walking Tour with...
672 Reviews
from US$ 24.47*
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Your kids will be more than thrilled. The traditional slide at the end of Terrasse Dufferin, the free form skating rink at Place d'Youville, tiny and nicely decorated Rue du Petit Champlain, etc.

Also the mayor has promised some more winter activities this year.

Finally out of town you could go to Village Vacances Val-Cartier that is a water park in summer but transform into a snow and ice slides paradise in Winter. Ski at Mont Saint-Anne and possibility of snowmobiling around or dog sledding. There might also be winter activities (snowshoeing ?) at the Wendake Huron reservation that is very close by in the suburbs.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Can't disagree with rickb at all. The slide at Terressa Dufferinis great fun, only cost a few dollars, and my 2 grandkids, about the same age, went down a few times and loved it. Though you sit on a sled, with a cloth of some sort underneath, make sure they are wearing warm or waterproof pants as their rear ends will get a bit wet.

Also, take the ferry over to Levis and back. The ferry will be cutting through ice at this time and you'll probably see some people in canoes practicing for the ice canoe race held during the winter carnival. No need to leave the ferry. Just stay on for the return trip. Best time to go when it is near dusk for a beautiful sunset, and views of Quebec City.

Enjoy!!

JDP

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,709 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Hi cote_a_cote;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States now require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Funny thing with the passport card. In August when we came back home the border guard said the next time we cross to hold the cards out the window as we passed as it will be photographed. It sounded a little funny because I didn't know exactly where I would be showing them. Today we came back across the border and sure enough there was a seperate camera for our cards so we showed them outside my driver's side window before reaching the booth. The crossing, every since we've had the cards, has been very smooth and quick.

JDP

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,709 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Hi JDP;

Do the passport cards not have a built-in RFID chip like the EDL's, that can be "read" by radio frequency ?

Best Regards

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

RescueTeam, from everything I've read on both sides of the border they do, but I think they only pick up you up within a few miles of either side of the border.

JDP

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,709 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Thanks, JDP !

I would suspect that the machine at the border wasn't a camera, but a RFID chip reader.

Best Regards

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

Sorrycote_a_cote I might have misinformed you pertaining to the slide on Terrasse Dufferin. Please check that link in a few weeks: ithq.qc.ca/en/…salle-a-manger.php

9. Re: Quebec City with kids between Christmas & New years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2011, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City