We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Hello!

I plan to be in Montreal early Nov (eg 6-9 Nov) and was hoping to make a day-trip from Montreal to QC

Assuming if i take the earliest train/bus from Montreal on a weekday, do i have enough time to see the main sights in QC? I heard QC is quite compact -- so generally walkable everywhere?

how's the daylight hours in QC during early Nov? pitch-black by 5 pm? and... snow too?

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$ 91.10*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
892 Reviews
from US$ 45.50*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
674 Reviews
from US$ 24.54*
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Hi Mishyq,

Welcome to the QUEBEC CITY TRAVEL FORUM.

And I see you are fairly new to the TA FORUMS… so a BIG Welcome Aboard as well !!

Others have outlined a bit about what the weather & daylight conditions will be like (very short days). November is usually, dark, grey, damp and cold… more so in Quebec City than in Montreal because it is a bit farther north, and the city is also perched on a cliff and very windy. (For info on Weather Averages see the TRAVEL GUIDE to the left of this screen).

Although we don’t normally see our annual Stick & Stay Day until the last week of November or first week of December… SNOW IS POSSIBLE, anytime from mid October… so you’ll certainly want to come equipped for the weather (Knitted Hat / Toque – Mitts / Gloves – Scarf – Warm Dry Footwear), and dressing in layers.

One Day is a short amount of time to see Quebec City… we typically advise Travellers to plan on spending 3 or 4 Days exploring the Old City and the surrounding area (Lower St Lawrence).

So with just one day, you’ll want to use it to the best of your ability… although I’d normally say that a Motorcoach Tour would be the most efficient use of time, in this case I do agree with the others that with some preparation, you’ll want to do it on your own, so as to be able to make the most of the hours you have at hand.

I’d say get on the Bus early in the morning (the earlier the better). The journey will take 3 Hours (lol, you can probably snooze on the bus… there isn’t really much in the way of great scenery… just flat farmland). Spend all the daylight hours to see the Old City… both Upper & Lower Town. Perhaps take one of the informative tours (the Citadel one is a must). Visit the Chateau Frontenac and have some great French Food (Traditional Quebecois if that is your fancy). Squeeze every possible minute out of your day, before heading back to Montreal on a return bus, well after dark.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

PS… Lol, if you are going to tackle this feat on your own with just a short amount of time, you’ll need to read as much as you can on the city ahead of time. You might want to read back thru past topics here in the FORUM, or follow along religiously for awhile so as to see all the subjects and advice that is covered here weekly… and if you have any Questions yourself… just ask.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

We (the whole people in the bus) didn't pay tips to the driver and local guide...even if some had, prob a couple of dollars.

I thought it was great to know a little bit history about QC. I hope one day I will go back and get a full guid tour and walk around the town, should be very interesting.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Hello! I'm from Montreal and I know that you are interested by the grayline tour to Quebec for one day, rignt now it is expensive because in summer (until october 24th) they include a 83 minutes cruise but in november, it will go back to +- 85$ . Yes it will be dark at 5pm.

If you travel alone take the tour but if you are two persons and want to have a nice diner at ''le lapin sauté'' or ''le cochon dingue'' then take the bus at 10.30pm to come back to Montreal. There is a bus from Montreal to Quebec every hour on the hour and it take 3h15minutes to gare du palais in old town. there are more bus BUT DON'T TAKE THEM the ones that are not on the hour take up to 4h30 to get to Quebec because they ares not directs.

From Quebec to Montreal the bus are at half pass the hour.

In front of chateau frontenac at 12 rue ste-anne in quebec there is the tourist information center open from 9 to 5pm every day and in Montreal the address is 1250 Peel street corner ste-catherine but the main entrance in on the back of the building in front of the park Inside the tourist center there is a grayline counter but only from 8am to 1pm.

You can also look on bonjourquebec.com that is the government website for the province of Quebec.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Sorry. I forgot to tel you that grayline tour in november are only wednesday and saturday to quebec.From 8am to 8pm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Many thanks for all your help!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Hi Mishyq,

You are very welcome... glad to be of help.

Please when all is said & done... come back to the FORUMS and share with us a TripReport... we'd love to hear about your Quebec City Adventure.

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

17. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 11:52