We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Hello!

I plan to be in Montreal early Nov (eg 6-9 Nov) and was hoping to make a day-trip from Montreal to QC

Assuming if i take the earliest train/bus from Montreal on a weekday, do i have enough time to see the main sights in QC? I heard QC is quite compact -- so generally walkable everywhere?

how's the daylight hours in QC during early Nov? pitch-black by 5 pm? and... snow too?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
80,921 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Hi mishyq;

Quebec City is approx. 157 miles / 253 km from Montreal, about a 2 hour ride by car, bus or train, each way.

Sunrise on November 7th will be at 6:42 am and sunset will be at 4:33 pm

Snow is early November is unlikely.

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

If you went by train, best choice. You could do quite a bit in QC in one day. You could even pick up a guided walking tour. QC is very compact.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

If all the time you can give to QCity is less than a day, do yourself a favour and take the bus : departures every hour from both cities (until 10h30PM, leaving QCity), as opposed to 2 or 3 trains a day only. Get off at the SECOND station ("Gare du Palais"). If you get off at the 1st one ("Sainte-Foy") you would find yourself quite far away from the Old Town.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Palais
Gare du Palais
164 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

thanks all for the advice!

one note - is Greyhound the only bus company that operates between montreal and QC ??

Greyhound is not considered the best company within the US, but maybe it's different in Canada?

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

i just checked the prices... it looks like return trip betw montreal and qc is almost $90

0_0

is that considered expensive, or normal? any chance of getting discount? :S

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,815 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

As you have probably discovered the bus company doing Montreal to Québec City is not Greyhound but Orléans Express and, yes the price for a return trip is $86.69 with all taxes included. If you compare with others you will see that it is the norm.. The main point is that Orléans Express has a one price only policy and not a discount for Net buying, advance, etc. But I just checked Greyhound Canada for Montreal to Ottawa and the fares go from $62 (advance, non refundable to $85 (last minute refundable) you willl see that it is the norm since Ottawa is a good one third less far than Qc.

Train? It goes from $44 (special) to $85 EACH WAY!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

I remember few years ago, I went in Sep, and I can join a day tour from Montreal to QC for $75. So I think it's better that way.

I booked it at the info centre in downtown Montreal, at St. Catherine and....Guy/Stanley? Street, or somewhere there, in downtown.

The bus driver, also tour guide, would give a brief history of Quebec, and once we arrived in QC, there's a local guide tour, taking us to see Montmorecy Falls, then a short tour in Old Quebec, Upper/Lower town. After that, you were on your own, and then at certain hour, just went back to the bus and back to Montreal at night.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
242 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Old Quebec
Old Quebec
11,413 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

thank you all for your help!!!

jettasian - what info center did you book this trip, do you mean the tourist information center of montreal? that's quite a good deal actually.

Toronto
Level Contributor
977 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

Yes the tourist information centre at St. Cath.....

Now, that's few years ago...not sure how much it is now.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,815 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quebec City in one-day / Day light hours in early Nov?

I just checked Grey Line (a subsidary of Greyhound) and probably the tour operator that Jettasian was talking about. Well now it is $121.70 and that doesn't include the tips to the driver guide and (separately) the city guide. So I would say that you forget Montmorency Falls which were not so impressive this yearany ways due to lack of rain and snow in the first six month of the year. And concentrate on your own to discover the old city, both Lower and Upper Towns. In fact you will be able to walk almost everywhere from the bus drop off at Gare du Palais. And you have the complete liberty to decide the time you leave Mtl and then Qc.

Mentioned in this post
Gare du Palais
Gare du Palais
164 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada