We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hours in Quebec

washington, dc
5 posts
Save Topic
5 hours in Quebec

I will take the bus from Montreal to Quebec for a day trip, arriving by 11:30am and departing at 5pm.

Any suggestions for non-museum based sights or areas to explore in such a quick time? I like exploring independent shops and exciting local cuisine.

Thanks!

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from US$ 91.10*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
892 Reviews
from US$ 45.50*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
677 Reviews
from US$ 24.54*
4 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hours in Quebec

Explore old Quebec. (Vieux Quebec) this means the part within the walls.

Walk around, make a stop at the Citadelle, the port, upper and lower town, it's all walkable.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
19,675 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hours in Quebec

hi

this is one suggestion for a walking tour starting at the bus/train station https://goo.gl/maps/21GMdcBdZey but instead of walking from Lower Town to Upper Town via the staircase you can take the funicular (which google walking mode will not allow) the funicular is a good investment when trying to see as much as possible.

You can either walk in to the Citadelle and take the tour (1 hr +waiting for when it starts) or just walk around to get to the Plains of Abraham where you find a stair that goes down to places des Gouverneurs near Chateau Frontenac.

The Chateau Frontenac is the landmark to get you back on track if you wander on some side streets.

a streetview of the access to the stair after the Citadelle https://goo.gl/maps/mMroSFQLp472

the funicular to Upper Town (Haute Viller) on the left - the stair straight ahead https://goo.gl/maps/uDpLdjVXu482

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hours in Quebec

Almost everybody seems to miss the point that historical Old Québec is not only the walled city in Upper Town... To know a bit more about the layout of the area visit these Top Questions on the upper right side of this page (not visible on smart phone, you need a computer): What is the difference between Upper and Lower Town? I am confused about the layout of the city, how does it work?

So I really like the ittinerary that cbaarch suggested. In fact on my last visit I did half of it, meaning that I stopped at Saint-Louis Gate and then just wandered around in the intramuros part. This ittinerary will bring you to Promenade des Gouverneurs that has a lot of steps but from Monument Abraham Martin going back to Terrasse Dufferin you will have more going down than up. Oh and I also took the funicular to get in Upper Town. I would skip the tour of the Citadel and instead just wander around a bit more in the Lower part before taking the funicular or the Breakneck (Champlain) Stairs to Upper Town and then wander around this part more once you have circled Cap Diamant by Promenade des Gouverneurs. You will have a lot of options for cafés and pubs all around to relax a bit and you can take a cab back from Place d'Armes / Château Frontenac or from Place d'Youville to the train station, it is a short and inexpensive ride downhill.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hours in Quebec

Just a quick remark mediatravlr, you will spend more time on the bus coming back and forth from Montreal then time spent in Quebec City

I would, if time permit take an earlier bus and/or leave later (if you have modifiable ticket, if you bought the 25$ ticket then forgot it)

Edited: 24 May 2018, 04:26
Reply to: 5 hours in Quebec
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Quebec City