We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montreal in one day

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
montreal in one day

Hi, i am on a 22 day usa/canada trip. will be spending 2 days in toronto and ottawa and have one day left. Thinking of driving from ottawa to montreal and staying there for 1 night. can i see some of montreal in one day? is it worth it or shall i just forget it and drive over to burlington vermont? i will be in montreal 17th oct.

if so what are the must see places? and what is the best time to get out of ottawa n arriving in montreal?

and where is the best budget plc to stay around 150 can for 4 adults to get the best out of the one day/night.

thks

ysh

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: montreal in one day

Unless you already booked your visit to Ottawa or there are special reasons to stay there for 2 days, I would suggest changing your plans and spend two days in Montreal.

The bad news is that in mid-October the average temperatures in Montreal are between 37F to 55F (Ottawa doe not differ much from this pattern). That limits outdoor activities but Montreal is more than that.

You did not provide what is your area of interest (art, museums, history, architecture, nature or fun, good restaurants…?) so it is difficult to make any suggestions.

Without knowing your interests my opinion is very general and based on the fact that Ottawa is much less interesting than Montreal.

Montreal’s area of Old Town, Downtown and the huge “underground city” offers a lot for even most demanding visitors.

Points of interest: whole Old Town with Old Port, Basilica Notre Dame, Marguerite Bourgeoys Museum and Chapel, Museum of Archeology and History….. (most “things” to see are confined within the Old Town and Downtown so you will have a lot of walking!).

A bit farther from downtown but interesting to visit is Biodom (access by subway)....

If good sunny weather you may try see Chinese and Japanese Garden (part of the Botanical Garden).

Given limited time I would suggest first to take one of walking tours (or sightseeing tour) to have better pictures of Montreal and then make your choice.

Please note that public transport in Montreal is great, so you can do most on your own (provided you know what you want).

From Ottawa you have highway to Mtl and you should not have big problems to leave Ottawa. Try to avoid morning traffic jams on Montreal highways (usually between 8-9am), so be on the Montreal’s island either earlier or later.

Best regards

Tom

Edited: 05 March 2012, 20:20
ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montreal in one day

Thks Tom for yr quick reply. I am not an outdoor person .wanted to see some of Montreal . If Ottawa does not ve a lot to c then I will leave early n drive to Montreal n spend a day in old town w the sights u mention n go to the botanical gdns in the evening. What is the underground city? Will google it.

Can u recommend a plc to stay in old town? Was told ths would b best plc to stay w limited time. I know I ve to pay for parking. Have been vhanging my itinery so much n ve just decided to spend 2 days in Ottawa so I will stick to it.

Ho long s he drive from Ottawa to Montreal pls? I google it n it says 3 hrs. But I knw w traffic it may b different.

Thks ysh

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montreal in one day

It's 3 hours from Ottawa to Montreal on a BAD day.

ysh
ireland
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montreal in one day

Thks trich89 if it is 3 hrs on a bad day that means that's the max time .

Regds ysh

5. Re: montreal in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:46