We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Appartements LaCité‏

burnaby
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Les Appartements LaCité‏

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of Les Appartements LaCité‏ in Montreal? I'm considering booking there but haven't found much about them online.

Also can anyone tell me what a fair security deposit at apartment hotels usually is?

Any help is appreciated!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Appartements LaCité‏

La Cité is a big complex just north of downtown in what is called by government and city planners Milton-Parc but by others the McGill ghetto, since it's right beside McGill University.

It was built in the 70s but renovated since, and it's fine with nice views (although the view to the souths actually not the prettiest, since you see a lot of ugly 70s buildings in the foreground, so the view north and west is nicer). It's very convenient since there are some good stores below it, plus a repertory cinema, and it's walking distance to Saint-Laurent and downtown. The gym is considered quite good and has people who don't live in the complex using it.

A related note: legally, if you rent to tourists here, whether it's an apartment, a hotel, a B&B, or even an outdoor lodge type place, you're supposed to be registered with the CITQ, who come and inspect it and rate it with a * system based on what it's like. However, not everyone does it, so it remains a grey area. Up to you to decide if knowing they're playing by all the rules is comforting or not.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Appartements LaCité‏

La Cite is a building in the Plateau. Originally built by the Loews corporation with a cinema and underground shops. Okay, it's one of the worst shopping areas of Montreal, but it does have a supermarket built right in and if you really need to eat, there are a few places including a St. Hubert.

They are listed with the government at http://goo.gl/XuttL and they have a rating of 4 stars. (B&Bs are rated with suns, not stars).

No idea what a fair deposit is, but do so only by credit card and ensure that they are listed with the CITQ. I've heard too many stories of people showing up to find an inexistent address and disconnected phone.

3. Re: Les Appartements LaCité‏

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 08:45