We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

I have been searching on trip advisor and trying to find out some great driving routes, but have not located any. Where would I look to find a route from Charlottetown to Wood's Island Ferry where we could cross to get to Nova Scotia. Again.. not sure if this is the best route to go? Should we be taking the bridge over first possibly and coming back to PEI on ferry? There are a few areas of Nova Scotia we would like to see. Cape Breton, Peggy's Cove, New Glascow.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
10,273 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

HI

it would help if we knew where you are starting from and how many nites you have. and, is there a reason you have New Glascow on your list?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Sorry, that would make sense. Landing in Charlottetown, PEI and wanting to visit Nova Scotia first part of our trip. We have 15 days. I just head New Glascow was good for Lobster dinners? I thought maybe there was alot of Scottish heritage there.

Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
52,041 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Hi again, QUEST ~

I wonder if you sent away for the Doers and Dreamers book from the Nova Scotia tourist information center that was mentioned to you on another thread? I wonder if you've got the tour book from BCAA, as I suggested? I wonder if you've gone to the library to look for a tour guide for the Maritimes/PEI/NS?

Here's a pretty straightforward itinerary for 2 weeks in the Maritimes. Very simple, stay in one place for a few nights rather than move around. Take day trips to see the countryside. Rent the car in C'town and return it to C'town when you fly out.

1. 4 nights Charlottetown. This would allow you to take day trips anywhere on the Island and come back to C'town to sleep. Montague, Souris, North Rustico, Cavendish. As much of Anne of Green Gables baubles at Cavendish as you can take. Consider the musical performance at the Confederation Center in C'town - always good.

Driving time: CHARLOTTETOWN to BADDECK, via Woods Island ferry to Caribou: This journey would take you 1 hour to the ferry, + the ferry wait time, + the ferry time. 3 hours from Caribou to Baddeck. This would be your longest day.

Make a reservation for the PEI ferry: http://www.peiferry.com/

2. 4 nights Baddeck. This is where the Alexander Graham Bell museum is located. Take a boat ride on Bras d'Or. It is also the gateway to the Cabot Trail, visit Cheticamp as you go around on a day trip. One good day to Fortress Louisbourg as there is a lot to see, with cannon shows and soldiers marching and changing guard from time to time.

Driving time: BADDECK to HALIFAX, about 4 hours, stops extra.

3. 4 nights Halifax. A wonderful city. Pier 21, HMCA Sackville, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, lobster dinner. Harbour ferry ride. A day trip to Ross Farm Museum one morning and then back to Peggy's Cove on the way back to Halifax.

Things to do in Halifax: tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g1555466-Activit…

Map from Halifax to Ross Farm Museum to Peggy's Cove back to Halifax: http://g.co/maps/2pyv9

Ross Farm Museum: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g154967-d2…

Driving time: HALIFAX to CHARLOTTETOWN, via the bridge, about 4 hours.

4. 1 night Charlottetown, to be ready for your flight the next day

Suggestions:

Use your days in a city to explore around, use the highways to get from one place to the next.

You will find lobster dinners almost everywhere. You will find music everywhere. And scones and jam at outdoor teas. You will find all kinds of restaurants.

Have a look at the following maps, then fine tune your time once you are at each of the places.

Click on the blue printing for the map from C'town to Woods Island Ferry: http://g.co/maps/2458d

I can't get the map to cross the water from Woods Island to Caribou, so just imagine that part. Click on the following link for the map for Caribou, NS to Baddeck to Halifax back to C'town. http://g.co/maps/pvawk

I think this itinerary is simple, straightforward, with day drives between cities that are not too long. The cities I have chosen would give you lots of options for different activities and attractions.

Think about getting going on making reservations. NS and PEI are popular places in the summer.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Yes, Yes and No. I have brochure coming from PEI tourism and BCAA booklet. I actually just spoke to the PEI tourism people this morning and she gave me some great ideas too. I like your itinerary, but I don't see anything about Cape Breton? This is one area I would really like to cover and the Bay of Fundy as we are looking for the rugged coastline with crashing waves. Little fishing villages etc. Thank you for helping me out, seems a little overwhelming at first until I an idea on where we should visit.

Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

HI! The New Glasgow I told you about with the lobster suppers is on PEI near Cavendish

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
52,041 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Hi Quest ~

Baddeck is right in the middle of Cape Breton Island. You will see rugged coastline with crashing waves on the road around Cape Breton Island. That road is called the Cabot Trail. It takes about 5 hours to drive around it. Add a little time if you want to make some stops along the way. So that would make a nice day trip out of Baddeck.

Here is a map of the Cabot Trail that goes around Cape Breton Island. Find Port Hawkesbury on the map, that is the start of Cape Breton Island.

http://g.co/maps/aa65y

Good luck with your holiday. Keep it simple and enjoy. Oh, BCAA will have a road map of the Maritimes as well. :-)))

Edited: 22 April 2012, 01:56
Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Oops, sorry, got my information mixed up.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

Thank you again.

9. Re: Need help planning itinerary from PEI to Nova Scotia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 03:11