We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

PEI looks beautiful. Hubby and I are stopping Sept 27 from 9a-4p. Would love to see the scenery. Best to rent a car; if yes, how, and what route to take--coast, central? Or better w/ a tour guide? if yes to this, any recommendations?

Appreciate any advice!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

walkandseacharlottetown.com/tours-and-packag…

Not sure what your interests are. these tours of Charlottetown may have something for you or give you an idea of what you would like to do. If you need more information, contact the tourism dept at www.tourismpei.com or 1-800-464-4734

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

Can I assume that you are on a cruise? If so there will be plenty of tour operators at the dock to take you wherever you wish. If you are here for a layover I would suggest renting a car at the airport and doing a Cavendish/ Charlottetown tour by yourself or hiring a guide to show you the more popular areas to visit. Hope this is helpful and enjoy our fair island!

New York
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

We arranged for a private guide - Gus Pater - from Horizon Tours - and we had a wonderful day with him. there were 6 of us - my husband and I, our 3 children, ages 19 to 23, and my other. Gus met us at the pier when the boat docked, and managed to keep us all interested throughout the day. We wanted a little time in Charlottetown after the tour - and he managed to fit in not only what we asked to see ( Ann of Green Gables, the red cliffs on the North Shore, The Confederation Bridge, and Victoria by the Sea), but he also stopped at several other places of interest, finding out what we liked and telling us all about the places and the history as we went. It ended up costing us less than the ship's bus tour, was much more comfortable, and was customized to our intersts and schedule. I would highly recommend Gus. HIs website is: www.horizontours.ca.

San Francisco...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

We booked a tour with Horizon Tours for 9/29/11 and Gus was supposed to be our tour guide. When we got to the pier, Gus dumped us off with a guy named Peter. We asked him if Peter knew our itinerary and he said he did. When the 5 of us got in the van, Peter asked us where we wanted to go. He didn't know we booked the North Shore tour or our itinerary at all. His English was limited too. Even though he had been in the island for 9 yrs, he did not know any of the history of our sights. He never informed us of where he was taking us and could not provide us any info. We have had better taxi tours. We were totally disappointed and felt ripped off. When my friend returned home, she called them. They just said, "Oh well," then hung up. Be aware that you might not get Gus.

5. Re: Charlottetown: better to rent a car or find a tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 09:45