We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
800 reviews
Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

Just a heads up, next week Doors Open Toronto is happening. Here is a link with more info:

www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/Mobile/Event.aspx…

The Buddhist Temple in Scarborough looks pretty cool!

Edited: 18 May 2014, 03:51
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

This is such a great event city wide. There's so much available that it's always a tough one to plan for!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

The official Doors Open Toronto site with all 155 buildings listed is www.toronto.ca/doorsopen .

Good to see last year's big hit, the Don Jail (aka Bridgepoint Health) back on the list, as well as perennial favourite the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant.

Toronto, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

LOVE the Water Treatment Plant. Soooooo beautiful.

Toronto
Level Contributor
251 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

From what I have heard and please correct me if I am wrong, the Don Jail is now mostly admin offices for Bridgepoint now. There is only a small area left of what was the Don Jail and may be disappointing to some who plan on waiting in line for a few hours to see it. Only reason I mention this is that I just came back from Belfast and we did the Crumlin Gaol (Jail) tour and nothing has been touched there and all still as it was. What were the comments last year and was it as it is now??

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
5. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

Yes, the historic Don Jail building is now used as offices (it hadn't held any prisoners since 1977). The renovation was carried out by ERA Architects, probably the leading heritage-restoration firm in Toronto. One cell block has been left as-is, so you can step inside an empty cell, the impressive rotunda is largely unchanged, and during last year's Doors Open tour guides recounted various events in the building's history. If you're expecting an old-jail museum, you'll be disappointed; if you're curious about architecture and adaptive reuse you'll probably find it quite interesting.

Last year they were handing out timed tickets on a first-come, first-served basis each day. If you got there a little before opening you'd probably have only a short wait; otherwise you might end up getting a ticket for later in the day but would be free to head off elsewhere during that time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
6. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

Which locations would be good for a first time visitor to Toronto interested in history, art, and architecture? I am lucky that my trip will overlap with next weekend but don't really know where to be start.

I will be staying very close to the University of Toronto's downtown campus but should be able to visit anywhere accessible by public transit. I appreciate any suggestions!

Edited: 20 May 2014, 11:16
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
7. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

- Osgoode Hall, Toronto City Hall, Old City Hall, Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre, and Commerce Court North are downtown classics.

- You could drop into various sites on the University of Toronto downtown campus - Hart House, the Munk School, the Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library, Knox College, and the Lassonde Mining Building (never been inside that one)

- The RC Harris Water Treatment Plant is worth the streetcar ride out to the Beach neighbourhood. Stop by the Beaches branch of the Toronto Public Library as well if you go on Saturday.

- The Distillery District -- you can actually get plenty of the history of this place year-round; Doors Open usually adds a couple behind-the-scenes rooms with historic equipment as well as some background info.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

Thank you! Looking forward to my first visit to Toronto.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
800 reviews
9. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and make for a great weekend!

10. Re: Doors open Toronto, May 24th-25th, 2014!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 09:47