We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skating already?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Skating already?

Landing in Toronto tonight- kind of thinking about going skating at Nathan Phillips Square. Is it cold enough for there to be ice yet? And what about the fact that I haven't skated since I was a kid? LOL Is it fairly easy to pick up again or will I be visiting a Toronto hospital afterwards?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
990 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Skating already?

The rink at Nathan Phillips Square is open... at least it was 10 days ago or so when I walked by. I was in North York at Mel Lastman Square on the weekend and their outdoor rink is open too.

I find skating to be easy to pick up...just take it slow and try to practice stopping.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Skating already?

Hi KateFox84,

First off you'll be happy to know that skating is a skill that you'll have for life... so picking it back up again will be easy... picking yourself up again... well that might be hard, and the ice will be even harder on your old bones than it was when you were a kid. So take it easy... no flying camels on your first time out.

Not sure about Nathan Phillips Square whether they are natural ice, artificial (don't think so) or frozen from pipes below. If they are natural then there won't be ice as of yet... we've had an unsually mild (warm) November, and I'm not even sure Toronto has seen temps below freezing much yet (certainly not in the daytime).

Perhaps, a local can come by and confirm the status of the outdoor rink...

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

EDIT - Looks like CFLAVOURED and I were posting at the same time... so now you have a "local" perspective.

Edited: 02 December 2009, 00:29
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
3. Re: Skating already?

Or, for some of us, skating is a skill we'll lack for life.

The Nathan Philips Square rink does have some kind of artificial cooling, so it needs cool weather but not below-freezing temperatures. It was scheduled to open November 21; from what CFlavoured said, it sounds like it's running on schedule.

If you did need it -- I'm sure you won't -- you can limp two blocks east to St. Michael's Hospital at Queen and Victoria.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
4. Re: Skating already?

Quick update: I was in the area so I popped into the square. Definitely open, with minimal crowds for a beautifully sunny and warm late afternoon. The Christmas tree and lights are also up and running.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
123 reviews
5. Re: Skating already?

I noticed on Monday while driving by Nathan Philips Square, that the rink is open. In fact there were quite a few people skating.

Here is a link to a website that lists a few tips that may help you especially if you haven't been on skates in years. To tell you the truth, for years I used to skate daily and then went a period of several years without skating ...when I finally got back on skates it was a little more difficult than I thought it would be. The good part is it will come back to you eventually. I read on one site to make sure to bend your knees, and not be too stiff and I think that is a good piece of advice.

ezinearticles.com/…

6. Re: Skating already?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 10:03