We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Invisible Toll Booths

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Invisible Toll Booths

My family had visited Niagara Falls and Toronto last month. We drove from Niagara Falls to a hotel near Markham in a car that we rented in Buffalo. Overall, we had a good time in Toronto. The Hippo tour was a big hit with my kids.

Today, I received a notice from the car rental company that they had paid some fines for me and therefore made a charge against my credit cards.

It seems that I had failed to pay toll on Hwy 400 and Hwy 404, a total of four times while I was there. One of the charges said I traveled 21.3 km on Hwy 400 for a toll of $4.09 plus a video toll charge of $3.25. The car rental company then added on another $10 for their trouble.

I don't remember seeing any toll booths on any highway around Toronto. Did I miss it? and missed it four times? Or was I suppose to have purchased a ticket before I get on the highway. The total amount is small so it does not bother me. It is just the thought that I have been "evading tolls" in Canada made me a little taken aback. Good thing that the Canadian Mounted Police did not chase me down. :-)

I wonder if other visitors to Toronto had similar experiences. Before my trip, I had been following the Toronto forum for many days. I don't recall seeing this issue mentioned. (I could have missed that as well).

Mentioned in this post
Niagara Day Tour
Niagara Day Tour
728 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Markham
Markham
Ontario, Canada
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Canada
Canada
North America
Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Invisible Toll Booths

I agree. I was in the Enterprise office in Brampton 2 weeks ago and the notice about the $10 fee was plain as day - right on the counter where you sign the contract. Also included was a statement advising customers not to use their transponder in the rental, and they were not responsible for any extra charges incurred.

Mentioned in this post
Brampton
Brampton
Ontario, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Invisible Toll Booths

" The letter just states: Location of Offense: QEW-HWY 403. I've been going nuts since I did stop and pay at one tollbooth just after crossing the border and never saw one again"

TN Celtic Lady...just to put your mind at rest....From what you've written it looks like you came up the 403 and instead of continuing on the 403 as it turned, you went onto the 407 which is a toll road (the only one in the province of Ontario that I am aware of). the QEW/403 is the interchange where you entered the 407 toll Road. If you had stayed on the 403 there would not have been any toll. Toll roads in Ontario have blue signs instead of Green and are marked, though at night following your GPS, perhaps you didn't notice the TOLL ROAD signs.

As far as the toll booth you remember just after crossing the border... that is not a toll booth for a toll road, but rather just the toll you pay for the bridge that you crossed when entering Canada.

Hope this clarifies it.

Trust you enjoyed your visit to Cnada and that you will come back and see us again.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Invisible Toll Booths

Not sure why they would advise you not to use your own transponder. I use my transponder on business rentals often (usually Avis) - the only risk is that you don't get a clean transponder read when entering or exiting in which case the rental company gets billed and you incur the admin fee and charges - this has happened to me twice in around 80 rentals, once being just because I forgot about holding the thing up at the right time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Invisible Toll Booths

I'm sure Vanclan has the correct location. But you can't just avoid blue signs, as they're also used along the collector lanes of Highway 401 (which is not a toll route).

The 407 signs have "407 ETR" with "Express Toll Route" in smaller type, and are followed by white signs indicating "Electronic Toll Collection: Rear Licence Plate Must Be Visible By Overhead Cameras" and "Vehicles Over 5 Tonnes Must Have Valid Transponder". That doesn't explicitly say there are no toll booths, nor does it explain how it works with rental cars -- though maybe that's just not feasible on a billboard being read at 100 km/h. I'm not sure any signage is a match for the soothing tones of your GPS dictating a route.

Well done by Enterprise for being upfront and reasonable with the charge.

25. Re: Invisible Toll Booths

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 10:54