We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fireworks display for Canada Day

virginia
1 post
2 reviews
Fireworks display for Canada Day

We are staying in Toronto at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel on July 1. Can we see the fireworks from the hotel? Or would a dinner cruise be our best option?

Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Hi, Roses;

welcome to the Forum!

You probably will not be able to see a good show of fireworks from the hotel. In the lakefront area the two main shows will be at Ontario Place to the immediate west of downtown & at Ashbridge's Bay quite a ways east of downtown. They will probably start between 9:30 & 10:00PM when there is sufficient darkness.

A cruise is one option but another is to picnic on the beach. A ferry ride to the Toronto Islands & a late picnic on the beach at Hanlan's Point is a romantic way to take in the spectacle at Ontario Place. From here you'll get an awesome view out over the bay where they set off the fireworks. The ferry schedule shows a 10:30 & 11:15 ferry back downtown on holiday Wednesday.

Cheers,

B&J

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Bruce_and_John have made some good suggestions. I'd be surprised if there are any rooms at the Royal York with unobstructed views of the lake -- there has been a lot of development to the south over the last decade or so.

Ontario
Level Contributor
52 posts
3. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

The hotel is about 2 and half miles away from where the fireworks are being let off (Ontario Place). They are also having fireworks on July 4th.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Isn't there fireworks deeper in. North down Younge St just past Finch Ave? When I look at what is happen in Toronto the city of Toronto site, that is where they said Canada Days fireworks will be.

Which display would be better--can't be both places at once.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,308 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Stillsmoking;

You're probably referring to the Mel Lastman Square location. This event is staged by the City. The waterfront display is part of the Canada Dry Festival of Fire put on by Ontario Place.

The Mel Lastman show is WAY up in North York. Haven't been, so don't know exactly how they do it, but the immediate vicinity is pretty built-up with high rises. Ontario Place, on the other hand, launches from the lake off-shore, so if you can get to the shoreline you can see the show. Much closer to downtown, as well.

B&J

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,005 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Hi stillsmoking;

There are Canada Day fireworks in numerous areas of the city.

The OP is staying at the Royal York which is approx. 1 mile from Lake Ontario, where Ontario Place & Ashbridges Bay are located.

Finch Avenue is approx. 1 mile from the city's northern limit, at the opposite end of the city from where the OP is staying.

I would suggest the fireworks display at Ontario Place.

Best Regards

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Well I book off hotwire a 4 star hotel..got the Sheraton on Queen st a few times (and its great) but thought I try the East downtown area...I got the Delta Chelsea (a 3 star hotel by most places expect Hotwire-have to admit it was still a great price)

I might be going to Woodbine race track that day...likely be back before dark but I might stop at a spa or something after dinner. I will have a all day subway pass so I was thinking of going where the locals might head to.

They both sound good...fireworks have came a long ways. In the Falls they shoot them up not too high at all but they burn off very fast...I remember when I was a kid how they had to go up so high and you could watch them burning off while falling down..now they go right out, so no need to shoot them very high up--with high rises around they might thou.

Yes over the water-lake must be very nice..I know over the Falls they are.

Great..seems like no matter where you are they be hard to miss.

I keep both places in mind...yeah most tourist should checkout the lakefront show.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
8. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

The Ontario Place fireworks are typically pretty good; they're part of a series of fireworks displays put on by teams from different countries, and Ontario Place charges admission (though there are plenty of free viewing spots to be found as well).

The fireworks up at Mel Lastman Square are put on by the city as part of free-admission family-oriented events for Canada Day. I wouldn't expect them to be as good as the Ontario Place show.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

Canada Dry Festival of Fire - Ontario Place (Jul 1, 4, & 7)

July 1, 2007

955 Lakeshore Boulevard West

Toronto, Ontario M6K 3B9

Web Site

Arts & Entertainment Events

July 1 - Canada Dry Festival of Fire: Canada

10:30pm: See the skies light up over Toronto with the spectacular Canada dry Festival of Fire at Ontario Place. Come celebrate the nations birthday with a spectacular fireworks display. The Canada themed fireworks will showcase the countries finest music. Included with admission. For grandstand seats call TicketMaster at 416-870-8000.

July 4 - Canada Dry Festival of Fire: United States

10:30pm: See the skies light up over Toronto with the spectacular Canada Dry Festival of Fire. This U.S.A. -themed fireworks display will showcase all of the country's finest music. Included with admission. For reserved grandstand seats, call TicketMaster at 416-870-8000.

Elvis is alive! Make sure to get to the park early on this day as a plethora of Elvis impersonators will be on hand to celebrate American culture and the "King of Rock n' Roll"!

July 7 - Canada Dry Festival of Fire: Grand Finale

10:30pm: See the skies light up over Toronto with the spectacular Canada Dry Festival of Fire. This fireworks display will showcase the previous countries’ finest music. Included with admission. For reserved grandstand seats, call TicketMaster at 416-870-8000.

Toronto
Level Contributor
27 posts
10. Re: Fireworks display for Canada Day

I guess you would be able to see the fireworks from the Fairmont Royal York Hotel but better option would be to consider dinner cruise.