We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current rules for Airbnb?

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Current rules for Airbnb?

We are a family of 4 coming to Toronto for a few days as part of a 2-week trip during the last week of August/first week of September. We usually stay in Airbnbs when we travel but I'm having real trouble working out the legality of this in Toronto. It seems that the new legislation has yet to come into force. I wouldn't want to stay in a condo with the risk of breaking the regulations so am looking at entire houses such as these

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/2918244…

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/875224…

Would this sort of thing be legal? I picked them pretty much at random as they are the sort of size and budget I'd be looking for. Can anyone suggest which areas I should be looking at for good restaurants and ease of travel around the city please? We'd probably be arriving by car but I'm guessing we wouldn't want to use it in the city! Any help much appreciated.

5 replies to this topic
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,784 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current rules for Airbnb?

Hi Clare;

Since March 2016, Canada has had an entry requirement known as the “Electronic Travel Authorization”(eTA), for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid visa.

1) ONLY use the official Government of Canada website.

www.Canada.ca/eTA

2) Apply for an eTA as early as possible.

3) Wait to make any non-refundable purchases (flights, accommodations, etc) until *after* your eTA has been approved.

4) The eTA is NOT a Visa. It is only authorization to board a plane to Canada.

5) Without a valid eTA, you WILL be denied boarding by the airline.

Your eTA will remain valid for a period of 5 years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

At the moment, the City of Toronto is still considering legislation on the subject. No legislation will pass until September 2018, at the earliest.

Best Regards

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current rules for Airbnb?

Either of those would be fine. As single dwelling homes they won't have the same issues as a condo.

If you're going to have a vehicle, make sure there is parking on site. Street parking in parts of the city is difficult to come by.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current rules for Airbnb?

Thank you both. Good to know that I can go ahead and start looking at this sort of accommodation. And I'll be sure to get the eTAs before I book anything else.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current rules for Airbnb?

If you can get rid of the car on arriving in Toronto that would be a good idea. Transit is workable and having a car is a hassle for most major tourist destinations.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
82,784 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current rules for Airbnb?

You're Welcome !

Reply to: Current rules for Airbnb?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted