We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Hour Layover Advise

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 Hour Layover Advise

Hello,

We're flying from Los Angeles to Jerusalem with a layover in Toronto.

I booked a long layover especially to explore Toronto for an afternoon...not realizing all the logistics. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Looks like we might need to pick up luggage and then store it. Does anyone know if there's a way to check in luggage to final destination?

If we have to store what is the most convenient/economical way to store it?

How long approximately to clear customs?

Should we rent a car and store our luggage in the trunk while exploring the city?

What are some suggestions on how to spend 4 - 5 hours in Toronto?

Thank you!!

18 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

Are your flights on one ticket or not? The luggage answer depends on that. Sounds like you bought two separate tickets though.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

You might have to pick up luggage, but it depends on a lot of things. Overnight connections you certainly have to. Same if you're flying on separate tickets. We don't have near enough information to answer that part of your questions.

If you do need to pick up your checked luggage and want to stash it for the day, the Samsonite store in each terminal offers a baggage holding service.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

There is luggage storage at Pearson.

See here: https:/…

I would not recommend getting for 4 hours though. More hassle than it is worth.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

Oooopa.

Post 3 should read "I would not recommend getting a car for 4 hours"

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

You definitely do not want to try to explore Toronto by car.

Would you do that in NYC?

You need to tell us if it’s one ticket, or two separate tickets, and the exact times of day. On your trip through Canada you will have to clear customs upon arrival, that can take 30-60 minutes depending on the time of day, and your personal circumstances.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
52 posts
6. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

I believe this type of flight can be called '1 ticket' with a layover. I puchased a round trip ticket on one transaction (there were no direct flights available on Air Canada)

We are arriving at 6 am.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

The link below describes the process for your connection.

https:/…int-int.html

Of course, since you plan to visit the city, you won't follow those steps. You will go to the main customs hall, clear immigration and grab the train downtown. What is important, is that it says your luggage will be transferred for you to the next flight. You don't need to worry about storing it somewhere, but if there is something you will want with you during your time exploring Toronto, be sure to put that in your carry-on luggage.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
52 posts
8. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

Thank you! That's great news.

What are the logistics to take the train downtown please?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
52 posts
9. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

Based on your advise, I think we'll take a Toronto City Hop on Hop Off tour departing from Yonge and Dundas.

Which train will take us there?

Thank you!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
110 reviews
10. Re: 10 Hour Layover Advise

The "train" referred to above is the UPX (Union Pearson eXpress) https://www.upexpress.com/

It goes from Airport to Union Station (right downtown) every 15 minutes ... with a journey time of 25 minutes.

From Union station you could walk (~20 minutes depending on your speed) to Yonge/Dundas.. or take the Subway 3 stops.

Reply to: 10 Hour Layover Advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted