We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time in Ottawa

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
First Time in Ottawa

My husband and I (early 50's) are coming to Ottawa September 12 - 14th. This will be our first trip. We are staying at The National Hotel and Suites..I hope that this is a good hotel!! We are looking for ideas on what to do. I would like to be a bike ride but on our own. How about ideas on where to eat please? We like to walk so getting around on foot wont be a problem with any suggestions. Thank you everyone in advance for all your recommendations!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
210 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time in Ottawa

You have selected a very central hotel that will make it easy to see the downtown on foot and to have a pleasant bike ride.

Bike Ride - bring your helmets and a bike lock or two - options to rent a bike are Bixi Bike and Rent a Bike (tandems or singles for rent).

Biking - Option 1: Rideau Canal from downtown (east side) , over the locks at Carleton university and return through the arboretum and around Dows Lake takes a generous hour. Take a side tour to the Ornamental Gardens and exhibitions at the Experimental Farm if that is of interest.

Option 2: Start on Wellington street heading west at Bay street - walking on the sidewalk, as the road turns toward the Portage bridge to Gatineau, take the ramp on your right down and under the brigde, follow the pathway to the right - you will come to the Mill St. Restaurant and then turn left toward the War Museum. This path takes you behind the War Museum and then follow for a scenic ride along the Ottawa River.

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time in Ottawa

Thank you so much for your reply..we are looking forward to the bike ride..both options sound great. Thanks for your tips too..was thinking of bringing our helmets but didn't think of bike locks!!

What would be the must see sights in your opinion? How about good dinner restaurants and lunch ideas where you dont wait too long for food..I guess something on the run so to speak?

Thank you in advance ontheroad16!!!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time in Ottawa

For quick lunch near your hotel, one good place is the Scone Witch (Slater and Lyon). It's a bakery that specializes in scones, but they also make scone-based sandwiches at lunch. Delicious! Other good "quick" lunch spots near there include Green Rebel (Salads, 340 Albert), and Pep + Nino's (Sandwiches, 208 Sparks).

For dinner, there are dozens of great restaurants. Any specific style or price range in mind?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,622 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time in Ottawa

<<What would be the must see sights in your opinion?>>

Are you aware of the delights in the left sidebar under Things to Do - including the tabs for Attractions and Tours? I like the War Museum and the National Art Gallery, as well as the Museum of Civilization, but they may not appeal to you and you would want to hunt me down for making those suggestions. :-) By looking in the Attractions, you can sort according to your own preferences and interests and create a visit with great meaning for yourselves.

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time in Ottawa

Thank you so much for your suggestions..looking forward to trying them out!!

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time in Ottawa

Martinottawa

Thank you so much for all your suggestions.

We would definitely like to have dinner at a "nice" restaurant at some point. Open to any suggestions. I am thinking within walking distance please.

Any good italian restaurants and bakery places?

Thank you for all your help.

Sarnia, Ontario
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time in Ottawa

Muftimixandmatch:

Not to worry I wont hunt you down..lol.

We were definitely thinking of including those museums in our sightseeing..thank you.

Any idea where the closest bike rental place is?

I hear that it is a beautiful bike ride along the Ottawa River Pkwy.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,622 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time in Ottawa

I'll defer to the locals to discuss a bike rental place. But TA reviews RentaBike here:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g155004-d1…

And Google reviews Scooteretti here:

https:/…

9. Re: First Time in Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2013, 14:46