We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centretown or ByWard market?

6 posts
Centretown or ByWard market?

My parents and I are travelling to Ottawa next month and I am yet to find accommodation. I will be studying at The Ottawa Hospital - general campus while my parents will be touristing around/flying in and out to other cities.

I have found nice accommodation in Centretown but am not sure of the location. My parents probably won't be in Ottawa that much but will use it as a base. However, they will spend a few days checking out the attractions as well. Is Centretown too far for it to be a convenient place to stay at as a tourist for a few days? Or should I try looking for a place within ByWard Market as other forums have suggested - keeping in mind I will have to go to the hospital everyday.

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Centretown or ByWard market?

Centretown and the Byward Market are both good bases to see Ottawa as a tourist. The buses are fairly good in Ottawa but Centretown is right next to downtown so it will be an easy walk or short drive to the Ottawa attractions.

I would be more worried about you having to travel to the General every day. If you will be taking the bus, the OCTranspo website has a good route planner that will tell you how far you will have to walk to catch the bus and how long the bus ride should take. If you are planning on having a vehicle, make sure to budget for parking at home and at the hospital.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 08:52
6 posts
2. Re: Centretown or ByWard market?

Thank you for your response! Really helpful to know Centretown is close to most attractions and that it is a good location.

I was hoping to also be able to bike ride to the General as well. Is bike riding relatively easy/safe in Ottawa?

Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
778 posts
414 reviews
3. Re: Centretown or ByWard market?

Downtown, Centretown, Lowertown (byward) are all within short walks of each other and contain most of the tourist attractions.

Bike riding is very safe and easy for the most part. Just be careful on the busier roads. There are some great bike paths getting quite close to the hospital. Of course biking is truly only viable in the nice months. Winter can be very scary.

As for buses, you can take the #44 from downtown. There are buses that get closer but you have to transfer.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Centretown or ByWard market?

In recent years the city government has made a big deal about making Ottawa a very friendly biking environment. While they have made some truly dumb mistakes (see O`Connor Street), generally they have done a good job of it. Spend some time at this page, https:/…cycling

6 posts
5. Re: Centretown or ByWard market?

I will be there in September and October. I'm assuming it will not be snowing yet and that it should be safe within those seasons for me to bike ride? Are helmets compulsory as well?

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
62 reviews
6. Re: Centretown or ByWard market?

It should be safe well into November. And, when you go through the link I provided above, you will see that 40 km of bike lanes are kept clear throughout the winter.

Cyclists under 18 must, by law, wear a helmet in Ontario. The number of cyclists above that age that do not wear helmets has grown quite small.

Reply to: Centretown or ByWard market?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted