We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
36 reviews
Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

I am from the Peterborough area and currently visit Ottawa once a month (for the past 2 years or so) and have completely fallen in love with the city. The green spaces, bike paths, Not feeling like a big city, etc..

I am seriously contemplating making the jump and moving to Ottawa full time. And while I know this is a traveller site, I'm hoping you can direct me in a couple of ways.

The 2 areas that will work best for me job-wise are either the Alta Vista area or Vanier area. Can you tell me pros and cons for both and which is more ideal? I have a dog, run and like to bike, so the green spaces and parks around Alta Vista appeal to me. But my daughter will be joining me in a year or so and she is planning on attending U of O, not Carleton. Is it a big hassle to get to U of O from that area? How long on the bus?

Vanier area appeals to me because its closer to the downtown core and the University, which I love, and it has more mature tree-lined streets. But I've also heard that there are some sketchy areas in Vanier?

The 2 employment possibilities are on Bank St, close to Walkley Rd and on St Laurent Blvd, close to McArthur Ave. Any other areas to consider?

I'll be looking to rent an apartment/condo and not purchase at this time.

Also, are there any Forums online that cater to new residents or those looking to move to Ottawa where one can pick people's brains for info?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any assistance and advice.

5 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
10,546 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

TA considers this as a non-travel related post and may very well delete it,

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

It may help to mention that I am a single, early 40's female and my daughter will be 18 so a nice, clean, safe neighbourhood is what I'm after but also with easy access to the nightlife (Elgin, the Market, etc), school, shopping, etc

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,427 posts
103 reviews
3. Re: Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation as it is not considered to be travel-related.

tripadvisor.ca/help/what_are_the_guidelines_…

You might be interested in the website “British Expats” (not just for Brits) which is more geared to people who are emigrating / have immigrated to Canada.

www.britishexpats.com

Best Regards

Campbellford, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
36 reviews
4. Re: Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

Thanks for the Website tip! I've checked it out and asked my question there :)

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,427 posts
103 reviews
5. Re: Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!

You're Welcome !

Reply to: Possibly moving to Ottawa...Questions!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted