We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

Aberdeen, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

Hi

Will be traveling to Ottawa for the first time for US Thanksgiving (November 22 through November 26) with my husband and 2 year old son. We are staying downtown and will have a car if necessary. We are looking for fun toddler friendly things to do/see (we have the Parliament and some museums on the list) and some family friendly restaurants or pubs that allow young children. We have been to Montreal before (without a child) and Quebec City when our son was 1. Does Ottawa have any Holiday/Christmas events at the very end of Novemberr? Our son loves Christmas time..Santa appearances ..lightings..holiday markets! Would love some feedback!!

Also, was looking to see if we could catch a Senators game or a 67s game, do the single game tickets not go on sale this early?

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
112 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

I am not sure how much a toddler would enjoy a trip to Parliament Hill but there is a tour that brings you to the top of the Peace Tower that your son may like.

For museums our son seems to like them in the following order:

Museum of Nature, Children's Museum at the Museum of History, Agriculture Museum, Aviation and Space, and Science and Tech. I thought the farm museum was a little blah for the price but my kids did enjoy it.

There is a cheesy arcade called Funhaven near Ikea that has a jungle gym that is free for kids under three. A bit further out there is a new play zone in Carleton Place called Kids World which has a soft zone but I have not been yet so I can't comment on it. Parc Omega might be fun for him, but you should bring a bag of carrots for the animals if you drive out there. South of the city is Little Rays, which is small but has lots of snakes and spiders and reptiles. They also do shows where you can touch a few things so check for a schedule if you go there.

The Christmas parades should be starting up around the time you are coming. The schedules will be released closer to your trip. There will be other Christmas events starting up around then that aren't announced yet. I know there will be a Christmas Craft Market at the Watson's Mill, but I am not sure I would take my toddler there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
110 reviews
2. Re: First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

In addition to the above... looks like the Senators are actually in New York and Philly on your travel dates... but the 67s have an afternoon game on the 24th. It will be very good quality hockey and they play in a different arena much closer to downtown. You will have no trouble buying walk-up tickets on game day..

Happy travels :)

Aberdeen, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

Thanks Family Tripper for your tips!

Aberdeen, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

Thanks Travelin Man i also so that 67s were playing thinking that would be a better fit for our toddler too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
86 reviews
5. Re: First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions

Each year, Parliament Hill and a few area parks will light up with christmas lights, but not sure if it will start as early as end of November 26th. Keep that on the radar if so. Lots of restaurant options (family friendly) can be found downtown as well, not many chain-type restaurants but there are many to choose from depending on where in downtown you are.

Lots of museums to explore, there there could be some children's entertainment at the NAC around that time of year. 67s games are great for kids too, cheap and great hockey.

Reply to: First Time Traveling to Ottawa in November..Need Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted