We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

5 posts
1 review
Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

Hi all

We are from Denmark and doing our summer vacation in Canada, where we among other things will visit Ottawa.

We come in a rental mini-van and when we visit bigger cities, we normally do it like this. I drive downtown and let my wife and kids exit the car, and I drive back till where a good free parking spot is. That could be free parking on the street, a shopping centre with free parking, etc. And while they do the first shopping I walk back or take the bus.

For Ottawa I have not been able to google a map that shows where street parking is free and where it is restricted.

- Does anyone know of a map showing parking zones in Ottawa?

- Does anyone know of a good spot to park the car for a full day?

E.g. the super market here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.4327022,-75.668846,751m/data=!3m1!1e3

Preferably where there is a fairly direct bus-line nearby.

(PS. I know others just day-park the car for $20 and think "why bother", but this works for us... I don't mind seeing a bit more of the town while the girls looks at clothes)

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
62 reviews
11. Re: Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

From the Bayshore Shopping Centre website:<< Parking Policy:

Bayshore is private property and does not tolerate park-and-riders. All identified park-and-riders will be tagged and ticketed. >>

Does any one else think this is getting ludicrous? It would cost Jens C $16 to park for the day under city hall. Instead he should pay $7 for two 35 minute bus rides from distant shopping centres to avoid spending some time with his wife and daughters. Whatever!!!.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
4 reviews
12. Re: Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

Ronw, no I don't think it's "ridiculous." The OP asked a question, and he's receiving information. It's up to him to decide how to use his time and money.

I checked the WalMart Canada RV parking info. In fact, RV's (and camping vans) are not only permitted but encouraged to park, even overnight, at many WalMart locations. It seems this is permitted at both the Trainyards WalMart and the South Keys WalMart. And, as I said earlier, I've seen these vehicles parked at both. People are advised to park in the WalMart area of the shopping centres (not near other stores). And not near the store entrance/exits, in other words, at the perimeter of the lot. The Billings Bridge location is not listed, and it's probably to be avoided, as the mall aggressively tickets even employees who park there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
110 reviews
13. Re: Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

I fully agree with Leroy... what is "ridiculous" is the way some posters fly off on a holier-than-thou tangent when the OP asks a specific and obviously well researched question.

I TOTALLY get the idea to explore new cities in this way... and if my travelling companion(s) would rather do something else for a few hours... so be it. Most people find it difficult to be together 24/7 when travelling, as desires and tastes are rarely 100% in sync.

Aside from the small but valid point of getting a ticket in a mall lot, many of the posts seem to blithely ignore the OPs question.... which is NOT helpful folks... and just a little embarrassing at the impression being given.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,548 posts
28 reviews
14. Re: Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

I have done the: do something else while everyone is shopping in the Byward Market area.

There is so much to see and do and great places to wander about especially if you are looking for photo opportunities that I would not consider spending time in transit when visiting Ottawa; which I do often do because of family obligations. For me it would be a missed opportunity when having to drive away from great attractions/scenery to save a few dollars.

But when I am a tourist, I am a wanderer rather then being destination focused.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,345 posts
110 reviews
15. Re: Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

To each his/her own cbaarch... Personally I totally see the attraction of "getting out of the tourist throngs" to see what life is like for the average resident... even if just for 20 minutes. It can be just as culturally enriching for some folks to have that experience, rather than view Parliament from 8 different angles with 4000 other tourists.

The OP was quite clear that was more important than paying $20 for parking.... anyway, he's probably been scared away from this thread by now ;)

16. Re: Can this parking tip be used in Ottawa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2018, 09:48