We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi etc

Oldham
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Wifi etc

Just a thought about my trip.

I have a UK based SIM in an iPhone 6. I've checked with my provider, and calls, texts and data to/from Canada are very, very expensive.

So my thought while I was there was to turn off all data, and just use free wifi. That means I can keep in touch with home by WhatsApp and Skype. Which will be fine.

But I have no sense of direction whatsoever, and I completely rely on Google maps to get me anywhere! Will there be enough free wifi round and about for me to get by with this, or enough apps that work offline - or do I need to look into buying a sim locally that will let me have cheaper mobile data (ideally I want to avoid this because it seems like a big hassle if I'm honest).

At the moment I'm planning to use public transport and walk, but I MIGHT decide to hire a car (which would mean I'd need sat nav in some form)

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi etc

Free wifi is relatively easy to find. Clear spots to go include McDonald's, Tim Hortons, Starbucks - all offer free wifi. Most cafes do as well.

You can download offline maps from Google Maps which gives you most of the functionality, and the TripAdvisor App also has the ability to download city guides, I don't know if there is one for Ottawa, but I used them on a recent trip in Europe and they were very handy.

I also normally put in directions to where I want to go in my Google Maps app and then screenshot the results so I can pull them up easily.

Mentioned in this post
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Oldham
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi etc

That's such a good idea. Screenshots,

Thank you. I think I'll be fine with that.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi etc

you only need GPS on to get any sat-nav to work with offline data

lots of apps in the stores. This topic is often discussed in the Travel Gadgets forum

4. Re: Wifi etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2018, 10:49