We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Ottawa

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Ottawa

This will be my first visit to Ottawa and first to Canada. I'm travelling solo and can't drive. I will arrive from Quebec by plane at 17.42 on Friday 25th August and depart on a train at 14.00 on Tues 29th August. So will have 3.5 days for my visit. I'll be staying at Chateau Laurier

I've been doing a bit of reading and the things that interest me are National Gallery of Canada, War museum, Ottawa Locks and Bytown museum, Parliamnet Hill, ByWard Market and perhaps Laurier House and Rideau Hall of I can fit all this in. I'm thinking I should be able to walk to all of this?

I'm really interested in the RCMP Musical Ride Centre. UNfortunately the ride will be touring elsewhere whilst I'm there but I'd still be interested in doing the stable tour. How would I get there from Downtown? Is there any public transportnormwould I need to book a cab?

Also are there an biatbgoursnofnthenRideau Canal or Ottawa River?

Finally, it would be nice to see some of the surrounding countryside but I'm not sure if I would have time or be able to do that without a car?

Thank you.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Ottawa

If you can bike, you can go to the RCMP stables that way along Sussex drive and the river bike path. You can also bike up to the Gatineau Park. Bikes are very good for getting around Ottawa and environs.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
492 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Ottawa

You have chosen a very good location - most of the attractions you mention are very walkable, with the exception of the War Museum.

And there are boat tours on the Rideau Canal and the Ottawa River with boarding just steps from the Chateau Laurier. The hotel has excellent concierge service so they will be able to direct you well. To see countryside, you really do need a car. Some beautiful scenery on both sides of the river, minutes from downtown.

Enjoy Ottawa!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Ottawa

Thank you both for your prompt replies. Unfortunately a bike isn't an option either (I don't have periphical vision, somId be a hazard to others as well as myself!).

I'll have a look to see if I can find any small group,or private tours that would take me out of the city for even half a day.

Thanks again.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Ottawa

The #7 bus runs from Rideau Street near the Chateau to the RCMP musical ride centre.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,280 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Ottawa

your location is perfect for the places you are wanting to visit. And there is bus service to the Stables but make sure they are open to visitors.

You have plenty of time for those visits and you should consider adding the Museum of History in Gatineau to which you could walk or look for a bus. Even a taxi would not cost you more than $10

Hope you have a good time and enjoy our beautiful city.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Ottawa

Thanks ronw for the info on the no.7 bus. I was going to walk as it looked to be about 1,5 miles but bus will be quicker. Is there an App for local Transport?

Bonjours, thanks for the info about the museum at Gatineau. I had read about that area but my book made it sound like it was a huge parkland area only suitable for those on a bike or car. I'll do more research!

Thanks again, really looking forward to my visit.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Ottawa

On another thread you said you enjoy river bank walks, so make sure to walk down *behind* Parliament Hill in Ottawa. Take a look from on top of Parliament Hill, then go down by the locks that are between the Hill and the Chateau Laurier. From there, you can follow the joggers across the bridge to the beautiful museum in Gatineau, stay by the river and come back on another bridge. Total walk time for the loop is about 45 minutes, although you could easily spend days on it because there is so much to see. I wish I could find a map to link to! Follow the joggers - this is a very popular loop for the lunch time runners.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Ottawa

Thanks Leejaye, that sounds like a lovely walk. I'll add it to my list

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to Ottawa

<<Is there an App for local Transport?>>

Here is the relevant page on the OC Transpo website, http://www.octranspo.com/mobile

I have not used any of this, so no idea if they are any good.

Oldham
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to Ottawa

I've been using Google maps to plan my bus routes.

I haven't yet used it 'in anger', but to plan things, it seems pretty good. Just put in the start point, end point and it tells you where to walk, what bus to get, and how long it will all take.

Get answers to your questions about Ottawa