We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Hello, my friend and I will be visiting Ottawa for the tulip festival this May. We'll arrive by train operated by ViaRail from Montreal. I appreciate if someone in this forum can advise us the best and safe way for 2 girls to go from the Ottawa train station to hotels in downtown. Is downtown a safe place to walk around and explore? We also need to know the best ways to get to several parks where the tulip festival takes place. I heard about hop on hop off buses, but I don't which hotels are on their routes, or near their stop locations. Thanks in advance for all your help and recommendations.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Totally safe.

You can take a city bus to downtown or a taxi - it's not very far, maybe a 10 minute ride. There is some construction going on at the train station so ask an attendant how to get around on the day you arrive.

Downtown is quite small and you can walk pretty much everywhere. For comparison, I'd say that walking across downtown takes about as long as walking the length of Mission Beach. People jog a circuit around downtown/across the river/back again on their luch hour.

In the summer there are rental bikes and HOHO buses,I am not sure what will be operating on the days you are here but either way you will be fine.

Any downtown hotel is good to stay at. I usually advise the Cartier Place Suite hotel, but there are lots of others. Anywhere between the Delta by Marriott to the Westin is a good location.

Edited: 23 February 2017, 13:02
San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Hi Leejay1, thanks for replying to my message quickly! Thanks for the information about getting around downtown, and recommendation on hotel. I'll look into Cartier Place Suite to see how far that is from tulip locations (there are 4 or 5 different locations).

Edited: 23 February 2017, 13:31
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
110 reviews
3. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Directly outside the front door of the station catch bus #92 or #96 (direction downtown). Have $3.40 exact change ready to pay. Both are frequent and will have you downtown in 10 minutes.... and there is a stop within 5 minutes of most hotels.

Taxi would cost $15-18 depending on exactly where your hotel is.

All of downtown is very safe to walk around... couple of homeless shelters here and there, but in general the city is very safe and harmless.

Cartier Place is about a 10 minute walk from Majors Hill Park, which is one of the main locations... though there are tulips all over the place at that time.

By far the largest exhibition is at Dows lake... I seem to recall there was a dedicated bus doing the loop of locations.. but I cant find any info. Watch this site for details: http://tulipfestival.ca/

Ottawa
Level Contributor
767 posts
412 reviews
4. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Found this

A convenient hop‐on hop‐off shuttle service will operate each day during the Festival between downtown hotels and the main tulip beds and activities at Dow’s Lake, with stops in the Tulip Route Neighbourhoods ofLittle Italy and The Glebe. Routes and stops will be posted on the Festival web site a week before opening and maps will be available at the Dutch Kiosk, easily recognizable in Commissioner’s Park.

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Here is the walk/bike map. Three locations are downtown-ish (Major's Hill plus 2 in Gatineau). Three locations are up near Dow's Lake/arboretum. That's about 4 miles apart - fine for bike/bus, but a bit of a long walk. It sounds like there will be a tulip shuttle.

http://tulipfestival.ca/walking-and-biking/

Cartier place is right behind city hall and across from the Lord Elgin which is an official hotel. My guess is that there will be a shuttle stop at city hall. The shuttle stop might be called Cartier Place which is the armoury/drill hall beside city hall (also for which hotel is named)

Have fun!

Edited: 23 February 2017, 19:40
San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Thanks so much! That's really helpful!!

San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Thanks! Yeah, so far the Tulip Festival has not posted info about shuttles yet.

San Diego
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Thanks LeeJay1!

1 post
9. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

Ottawa Valley Tours connects to tour as does Concord tours. Best of luck!

10. Re: Train station to downtown, and to Tulip Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2018, 10:48