We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in Lake Ontario

Monroe, MI
11 posts
Save Topic
Swimming in Lake Ontario

My husband is set on swimming in Lake Ontario because it is the only Great Lake he hasn't been in. Does anyone know of a beach or place for swimming?

Mentioned in this post
Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario
762 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

There are several beaches along the Lake Ontario shore, but swimming is not terribly popular because the water is very seldom safe from a quality standard. The Region of Niagara regularly tests the water quality at all Regional beaches on both lakes and posts the results here:

http://geosmartniagara.ca/beachmonitor/

Mentioned in this post
Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario
762 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

eww

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

Your husband might also find the water awfully cold -- typically, the swimming season is considered over at the end of August, and it's been a cooler summer than usual.

Not all Lake Ontario beaches deserve a reputation for poor water quality. Toronto has put a lot of effort into improving water quality and a number of beaches now meet international "Blue Flag" criteria. City of Toronto beaches are listed here: toronto.ca/beach/swimmingconditions/index.htm ; beaches in its western suburbs (closer to Niagara) are listed here: www.peelregion.ca/health/beach/enbeach.asp . Unfortuantely, they're a 1-2 hour drive from NOTL.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario
762 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

Hi Stardust228,

Ok, coming from Michigan, I'm thinking your Hubby is quite familiar with the Great Lakes... both their positives and negatives (and their frigid waters).

It is true, just like Lake Erie some parts of Lake Ontario has an issue with water movement and traffic (not to mention industry). Hence why this particular area on the southside of Lake Ontario isn't the best (North and East are definitely cleaner). And of course the stats will be at their worst after a big rain... That said, I can understand the want to be able to say he's done all of "The Big 5".

I've looked at the data that has been provided, I'd say if you don't want to venture out of NOTL head over to Queens Royal Beach (Queens Royal Park) corner of King & Front... it is where the Gazebo is... and Hubby can go for a quick dip (it'll be quick all right... the water will in no way be warm in September). He can paddle around for his 5 minutes, and then he can check another one off his "Lifetime To Do List".

The stats for Queens Royal Beach as of August 26, 2009 are 77 Geometric Mean (OPEN SAFE) and here is a link to a photo …geosmartniagara.ca/…20Royal.jpg

If you are willing to drive a tad, there is Lakeside Beach in St Catherines about a 30 Minute drive from NOTL along Lakeshore Road (Hwy 87) the beach is more of a traditional looking Great Lake Beach and the stats are currently a bit better... As of August 31, 2009 = 58 Geometric Mean (OPEN SAFE) here is a link to more info and a photo waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6XZV_Lakeside_Park… and …geosmartniagara.ca/…20Beach.jpg

Cheers!

Wine-4-2

Mentioned in this post
Michigan
Michigan
United States
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
Lake Ontario
Lake Ontario
762 Reviews
Ontario, Canada
Queens
Queens
New York
Royal Park Hotel
Royal Park Hotel
693 Reviews
New York City, NY
Monroe, MI
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

Thank you for all of your input! It is true Wine 4-2 : We are very aware of the issues with the Great Lakes, as we live on Lake Erie lol. I doubt he will be swimming long lol. I really appreciate you listing the closes beaches for us :-)

Mentioned in this post
Erie
Erie
Pennsylvania
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

Municipal Beach in St Catharines may be your best bet. Water probably warmest there.

Mentioned in this post
St. Catharines
St. Catharines
Ontario, Canada
Tonawanda, New York
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

Port Dalhousie has a nice beach and a Merry Go Round you can still ride for a nickel!

8. Re: Swimming in Lake Ontario

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 10:48