We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel & Immigration query

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Hotel & Immigration query

Hi everybody. I am planning to stay in Niagara Falls area with my family but am confused about some things. We'll be arriving at Buffalo airport. I intend to book on the Canadian side as I wanted to book a hotel with falls view. My problem is that my flight back is at 8:30am in the morning from Buffalo airport and this means a very early departure. At what time should we depart from the hotel on the Canadian side (via taxi) to accommodate the time for immigration (we'll be travelling on both US & Canada visas and would already have cleared US immigration in New York before arriving in Buffalo). Or should I just choose a hotel on American side foregoing the falls view and go across the Rainbow Bridge for touring the Canadian side? This would hopefully allow me to save some transit time in the early morning. Thanks.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,046 posts
103 reviews
1. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

Hi gags9999;

I would suggest leaving your hotel at 6:30 am.

Best Regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,241 posts
833 reviews
2. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

Stay on the Canadian side, just be very conscious at time you cross....what day of the week are you flying out?

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

Thanks for RescueTeam and tdsuperstar. tdsuperstar, I would be crossing Canada-US border on a Sunday. How will this affect my timing and what would be the ideal time to depart?

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,046 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

You're Welcome !

Leaving early on a Sunday morning shouldn't create any problems.

Best Regards

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,022 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

How far in advance does the airline recommend checking in for your flight? I would imagine it is at least one hour, maybe even 90 minutes? (I am assuming it's a domestic flight and that you will be connecting elsewhere to your international one.) I don't know anything about transport time from NF on the Canadian side to Buffalo airport (Google maps says it is 37 minutes), but does leaving your hotel at 6:30 allow enough time? (not just transport time, but for even slight delays at the border?) Personally, I would rather deal with boredom sitting in an airport lounge than the stress of cutting it close in getting to the ariport.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
30,108 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

I'm with the previous poster on this............I'd err on the side of caution and leave the hotel a good 3 hours before departure....as mentioned, what information does the Buffalo Niagara International Airport provide with regard to arriving for flights( see link below).....all airports have recommended guidelines - I would follow them.....hopefully you won't encounter weather related issues either, but allowing ample time to get to your flight will help

http://www.buffaloairport.com

Edited: 10 November 2014, 20:01
India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

Thanks everybody for the inputs. I was planning to leave at 5:30am so as to reach airport with at least 90 minutes before the flight (flying domestic to Orlando). I was not sure about the immigration time. Can I pre-book a taxi for the early morning pickup? Any recommendations?

8. Re: Hotel & Immigration query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2015, 10:46