We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank Debit/Credit card

1 post
2 reviews
Bank Debit/Credit card

We will be traveling and staying on the Canada side of Niagra Falls. I’m slightly confused and concerned that my local Bank issued debit/credit card will not work. We don’t have just a credit card. I don’t want to carry much cash on us. Is there anyone that has traveled and used just a debit credit card.

3 replies to this topic
Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Bank Debit/Credit card

It depends on your bank.

Banks typically belong to either the Cirrus or Plus system, you will see the logo on the back of the card. That card will work in any banking machine with the same logo.

So check what your bank says, then find out which machines it works with in Canada. The major banks work on both sides of the border.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Bank Debit/Credit card

Adding to the first great answer..know your transaction limit and your daily limit in US dollars and know that you have to translate that into Canadian $ when you enter numbers. Easier just to ask for less than limit :)

Using debit card, you get a better exchange rate than exchanging US $ BUT BUT BUT. you may pay bank fees at both ends and a foreign transaction fee. Again ask your local bank.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,106 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Bank Debit/Credit card

Just a couple of things.

We in Canada use Debit /ATM cards for nearly every thing, from Coffee to groceries every day. Most of us seldom carry cash. Ensure your bank knows where you will be. If they don’t know and see a transaction in Canada you might find they suspend the card, thinking it’s been stolen.

Are you staying in a hotel? If so not having a credit card might pose a problem. They usually want to do an “imprint” of your card, as security for damages or if you skip out without paying.

Hotels don’t often take debit cards. Recently we were out of town for a family wedding, and one of the party had no credit card. I had to pay for his room, as they would not take his debit card.

Reply to: Bank Debit/Credit card
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted