We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Halifax

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Halifax

Will be in Halifax for one day - July 1 and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the must sees. There are all kinds of cruise excursions but was wondering if I should tackle on my own or there was a local tour service that was reasonable.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: One Day in Halifax

Thanks to all those that replied to my request for recommendations of things to see and do in Halifax. I was incorrect on my dates. We will be in port on July 3 vs July 1 so we will be missing many of the festivities but I am sure that we will find lots of other things to do. Any comments on the Botanical Garden or the Harbor Hopper?

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: One Day in Halifax

I've done the Harbour hopper a few times and have really enjoyed it. I'm a local and even learned quite a few things. I recommend it. Fun way to get an overview of the downtown area.

When you say botanical garden do you mean the public gardens? If so I recommend that too. I've spent many afternoons sitting in that park studying for university.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 08:09
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: One Day in Halifax

Thanks for your recommendations. Yes I did mean the pulbic gardens. Is it within walking distance of the port or can I take FRED there or do I need a taxi?

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,005 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: One Day in Halifax

So google maps says it is a half hour walk. It does go up hill gradually.

http://g.co/maps/gnca3

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: One Day in Halifax

Half hour walk sounds about right from the cruise port to the public gardens. The public gardens are located right on Spring Garden Road which is considered part of the downtown area. SGR has nice shopping, restaurants, and is a heavy pedestrian area. If you are thinking of the Harbour hopper I would do that first as it will take you basically around the downtown area (spring garden road and Barrington street and some of the side roads) and give you a good overview of everything on land and from the water. I think it might go pass the public gardens so it could give you an idea if you want to check it out more. After the Harbour hopper you will have a good overview of things and could easily decide which things you want to explore more (the citadel, historic properties, waterfront, public gardens, shopping, pubs, museums, etc). The Harbour hopper tickets and loading is located on the boardwalk section of the waterfront.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: One Day in Halifax

I recommend the Harbour Hopper tour because it will give you an hour long snapshot of Halifax. Then you can go back and explore further the places that look interesting to you. You will drive past the Public Gardens.

If you go to You Tube, you can see video clips of the tour.

If you decide to skip the Harbour Hopper, you can walk to the Public Gardens by walking uphill from your cruiseship until you intersect with Barrington Street. Barrington Street connects with the bottom of Spring Garden Road. Walk about 15 minutes on Spring Garden Road and you will not miss the gardens. Lots of restaurants and pubs and shopping along Spring Garden Road.

You might enjoy a stop into Jennifer's of Nova Scotia. It's a shop along Spring Garden Road that has a lot of locally made items (crafty stuff) that is nice/different.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: One Day in Halifax

Thanks to all. Sounds like the Harbour Hopper is a go and then see where we go from there

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: One Day in Halifax

There are Taxis and Limos at the Pier 21 were you will dock that can do tours..

19. Re: One Day in Halifax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2013, 15:16