We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Halifax

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Halifax

Will be in Halifax for one day - July 1 and was wondering if you could point me in the direction of the must sees. There are all kinds of cruise excursions but was wondering if I should tackle on my own or there was a local tour service that was reasonable.

Fall River, Canada
Destination Expert
for Halifax
Level Contributor
1,314 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Halifax

That's one of the BEST days to come to Halifax!

It's Canada Day here, like your 4th of July. The city will have all sorts of fun things to do, and likely fireworks at the end of the day!

Take a look at this site:

http://hrmcanadaday.ca/events.php

There isn't much online there now, but there will be soon.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 03:31
Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Halifax

There are a lot of great things to do in Halifax.

Citadel Hill: www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/visit.aspx

Museum of the Atlantic: museum.gov.ns.ca/mmanew/en/home/default.aspx

But if it was me I would want to see the iconic Peggy's Cove: www.peggyscoveregion.com/peggys-cove-area/

Here is one of the major companies in town that offer day tours of Halifax and the area: ambassatours.com/atlantic-canada-sightseeing…

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Halifax

If you look to the top right of this page you will find a link to information about arriving in Halifax on a cruise ship.

You should also go to cruisecritic.com a sister site to tripadvisor, and check out the boards, especially the ports of call and the roll calls. You can search and find previous recommendations for tours. Many people tour Halifax on their own, and on Canada Day, you would find more than enough to see just on the waterfront.

Another place to check is www.tomsportguides.com/Halifax-06-15-2011.pdf

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Halifax

July 1st is usually the first day of the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo & would be a great way to learn about our history/culture. Please check www.nstattoo.ca for details. The July 1st performance is at 2:30 p.m. so check how that works with your cruise schedule.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
15,256 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Halifax

@ maryann-ns,

Unfortunately many of the links posted in the threads attached to the Top Question now return a 404 message, and the original threads are now locked.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Halifax

If you are coming on a cruise, you will, dare I say, waste your day at Peggys Cove and miss out on all the good stuff downtown Halifax. Besides the halifax waterfront, you can take the ferry over to Dartmouth and get some good pics of the best view of the city.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
505 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Halifax

I think they close the MacDonald bridge - a suspension bridge across the harbour - on July 1 to allow people to walk across. It would offer panoramic views of the harbour but it's a long walk.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Halifax

It's Canada Day, you must stay in the city and see all that is going on. The Royal Nova Scotia Tattoo has a parade that goes down Spring Garden Road. From there, you could go to the Citadel or the Museum of Natural History, both are free on Canada Day. Go to the Public Gardens and just wander around downtown, you'll see more locals out and about, than usual, all having a great time.

Firefly68, you're mixing up your holidays, it's Natal Day that they close the bridge for a few hours to walk across, not Canada Day.

Halifax
Level Contributor
691 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in Halifax

Once you check the activities- depending on time you arrive if it's on a cruise usually 8.0am- I would take an hour historic city tour and then get dropped off maybe at Public Gardens and then make your way down to waterfront- most activitues don't get rolling until at least late morning.

We took with Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours- really good and very knowledeable this also includes Fairview cemetary where a number of Titanic passengers buried.

As mentioned above Check Cruise Critic -Canadian threads recent "Lunenburg Excursion"has detailed tour info.

Good Luck, hope you have a great visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in Halifax

Thanks for all the info.. Canada Day sounds wonderful however I double checked the itinerary and it appears as if we don't reach Halifax until July 3. May have missed the festivities but I am sure I will get to enjoy the beauty of the city