We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with August vacation plans

Peace River...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help with August vacation plans

We will be flying into Halifax July 30 and plan to "do the Maritimes" for the next 2.5 weeks. I would like to stay for 5-7 days in one location and make day trips from there but don't even know where to begin in picking NB, NS or PEI as our long stay. We have saved for years for this trip which will include my husband, two kids (13 &10) and father in law (75). I would love to book a beach house so the kids can play in the water while I read a book on our relaxing days.

Which province do we choose for the long stay and then where in that province do we pick to stay for a week?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with August vacation plans

Hi!

Of course on this forum we are going to say to pick Nova Scotia. As to where, there will be considerable debate.

You can't easily base yourself in one spot, but for beaches and warm water you should consider the Northumberland coast from Amherst all the way to and including Cape Breton.

Here is a map marking this general area. http://g.co/maps/fqfec

The South Shore of Nova Scotia going from Halifax down to Yarmouth has some wonderful beaches, but the water is much colder.

Go here to learn more about Nova Scotia and what you can see and do here and then you can come back with more questions:

www.novascotia.com/en/home/default.aspx

Advocate Harbour...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with August vacation plans

As mentioned, for what you are looking for, the Northumberland is the place to go as you will find the other waters too cold for your kids to enjoy swimming in. Check out this site for accommodations along that coast, some with the 3 or more bedrooms you would be looking for. http://www.cottagecoast.ca/properties/

You would still be close enough to do day trips to experience special places on this earth like the planets largest tides of the upper Bay of Fundy in the Cape Chignecto/Cape d'Or area. It would be neat to see a bit of the diversity of the province, with the drama of Cape Chignecto's towering cliffs and stunning scenery compared to the relax on the beach summer ambiance of the flat-lands/beaches environment of the Northumberland cottage country.

Peace River...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with August vacation plans

Thank you both for your info. You have helped me make my decision so much faster than I would have without your help. I have booked a beautiful vacation home right on the Northumberland coast for one week. I think this will be a great central location for us to go over to PEI or to New Brunswick for day trips? I am so excited I cannot wait. Now to decide what to do our for our first week. Do hotels book up to capacity or could I find one on the spur of the moment during the summer? I'm relucant to book every single night before we get there.

Thanks again for your help!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with August vacation plans

I would suggest booking your hotels in advance to be safe. Nova Scotia is very popular and I personally wouldn't want to take thr chance. A week at a Northhumberland cottage will be very relaxing, and a good way to explore that area.

Other Nova Scotia locations I would suggest visiting are Halifax, Lunenburg, Annapolis Royal and Wolfville. I lived in NS for 28 years and have travelled it all over these are some of my favorite communities. I return at least once a year to NS and they are usually on my must visit list because they are all beautiful and have lots to offer.

Halifax - if you spend the night I suggest you stay downtown. Great things to see - the waterfront stroll along for the view lots to see. Historic properties which are located on the waterfront. Citadel Hill during the day for the view and neat history. Harbour Hopper tour to get a neat overview of the city from both land and water. Great restaurants, shopping, lots of options. Most things are located downtown that appeal to tourists.

Lunenburg - on your way here you could stop at Peggy's Cove. Lunenburg is a cute fishing village with some great restaurants, artists, very beautiful. Home of the Bluenose. It is relatively close to some great beaches such as Rissers Beach. Also relatively close to The Ovens which are these caves where the water rushes in.

Annapolis Royal. Another cute quaint NS town. Fort Anne, beautiful bed and breakfasts, lots of history, pretty.

Wolfville is a fav community of mine. Close to my fav park Blomidon which has great views and you can walk out on the red mud when the tide is out. Wolfville has great farmers markets, and some neat shopping, and lots of wineries. Very beautiful area of the Annapolis Valley.

The Cabot trail in cape Breton is beautiful and worth the trip as well but you will need a few days to explore.

Have a wonderful trip. I have travelled to lots of places all over Canada, USA, Carribbbean and there is no place closer to my heart than Nova Scotia. So beautiful, so peaceful, so friendly.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with August vacation plans

You are coming in peak season, so you will need to book ahead for Halifax and other major tourist destinations (most of Cape Breton, Lunenburg, Wolfville, etc.)

Let us know where your cottage is so we can advise on feasible day trips.

Peace River...
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with August vacation plans

Thank you so much for your help! Our cottage is Linden, just 1.5 hours from the Halifax International Airport and is 40 minutes from New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island.

I'm wondering if we could do the New Brunswick highlights as day trips while in Linden and then perhaps stay a few nights in Halifax and a few nights around Cape Bretton.

Remember I'm from northern Alberta where it takes two hour just to get to Walmart so we are not opposed to a drive.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with August vacation plans

If you spend a few nights in Halifax you could easily do a day trip to the Annapolis valley (Wolfville area) and then another day do a day trip to the south shore (Peggy's cove, Lunenburg, Rissers Beach, etc). Then have a day of exploring downtown Halifax.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,916 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with August vacation plans

I live very close to Linden and there are lots of day trips you can take, including to New Brunswick and PEI.

For sure you will want at least one trip to Parrsboro, Advocate Harbour and Joggins.

You can also go to Pugwash, Tatamagouche and Pictou. check out the Balmoral Grist Mill.

museum.gov.ns.ca/bgm/en/home/default.aspx

I have gone to Lunenburg and back in a day but I would not recommend it.

You can get to Halifax in just over two hours, but you would be better off spending time there.

I would spend a few days based in Halifax or Lunenburg or Wolfville. You can visit all this area from one of these.

If you have time you could spend another two or three days in Cape Breton, but you may have to leave this gem for another time.

Edited: 01 May 2012, 03:33
9. Re: Help with August vacation plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:10