We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

Spearfish, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

Can you tell me the conditions of the roads - is a 4-wheel drive necessary? I've also heard that there are a lot of bugs - should one have a bug screen?

Thank you - I am going to drive to Yellowknife mid July....

Donna

Northwest...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

Wow Donna,

That's quite the drive! Mid-July is a great time to make the drive. The road is paved the whole way to Yellowknife and it'll be dry at that time of year. You'll really be driving through the land of the midnight sun at that time (sunrise will be at about 4:00am and sunset at 11:30pm).

To check on road and ferry conditions before you depart on your trip, you might want to visit: dot.gov.nt.ca/_live/pages/wpPages/home.aspx

If you contact NWT Tourism they can send you a driving map too :)

http://www.spectacularnwt.com/ (1-800-661-0788)

Hope this helps with your trip planning!

Spearfish, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

Yes, it will be a very long drive but I feel an enjoyable one, too - thank you for the links and phone #'s - appreciate your help..........

Northwest...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

Great! Oh, and yes, you'll want to bring bug spray too :)

Spearfish, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

Yes I'm sure of that - if you have any other pointers for me, would like to hear - thank you..........

5. Re: Wyoming to Yellowknife via Mackenzie Hwy and Hwy 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:46