We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Day Itinerary

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
7 Day Itinerary

I'd love to get some feedback on itinerary suggestions for a 7 day trip to St. John's this June. My husband and I are taking our very first trip to St. John's to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. We will be in NL from June 21st to June 28th and I have booked an airbnb in St. John's for the entire trip. I am looking for recs for good boat tours or hiking tours (is that a thing?) or other activities that we absolutely should do.

We do have a car rental booked for those dates already. We would very much like to do whale watching, puffin watching, and iceberg sighting (if they are still around when we visit). Some ideas that I have on my list so far:

*Signal Hill

*Cape Spear

*East Coast Trail

*The Rooms

*George Street

*Quidi Vidi

*Twillingate

*Witless Bay & Bay Bulls

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
1. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

Good Morning Kay M,

My name is Chelsea and I work with the Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism Department. What you have planned looks like a great plan! :)

You could also consider going to the Commissariat Provincial Historic Site and the Johnson Geo Centre. If you want to do a day trip from St. John's you could do the Irish Loop, Bay Bulls is approximately a 25 minute drive from downtown St. John's and you can go on a boat tour to see 500,000 atlantic puffins, whales and maybe icebergs! You can reserve ahead of time with O'Brien's Boat Tour and pay when you get there for the tour. You could also consider a day trip to Brigus about 1 hour from St. John's.

If you like Irish music there is live performances at many pubs in the George Street area like O'Reillys Pub, Shamrock City or Greensleeves.

Also, the East Coast Trail does offer guided hiking tours, you can find more information with this link: http://eastcoasttrail.ca/scheduled_hikes/

Regards,

Chelsea

Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

There are other boat tours besides O'Briens. Some are based out of St. John's harbour, some from Bay Bulls or Witless Bay. Dee Jays and Ocean Quest in St. John's. Gatheralls, O'Briens and Mullowneys in Bay Bulls are just those that immediately come to mind.

There is a website to check for iceberg locations, and also found on Facebook.

http://www.icebergfinder.com/ There are lots around right now so hopefully there will still be some when you are here. Or you could drive along the Baccalieu Trail to Bay de Verde, they are often seen near that shore.

Twillingate is a 5 hour drive from St. John's, best done as an overnight trip. But that coastline is much more likely to have icebergs. You'll have to decide if you want to take the time out of your 7 days to visit Twillingate. But Brigus(and nearby Cupids), Ferryland and Bay de Verde can all be done as day trips from St. John's.

Good luck with your planning.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

Hi Chelsea,

Thank you for the prompt and informative response! I am really looking forward to this trip. We will definitely check out the guided hike of Cape Spear on June 26, providing the weather co-operates. Thanks for the link!

Cheers,

Kay

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

Hi janidd,

Thanks very much for the info! Will definitely checkout the icebergfinder site once we are in NL.

Best,

Kay

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,452 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

Kay M, there are icebergs everywhere right now. I'd say no problems seeing some next week when you are here. Good luck and have a great trip!

Gros Morne National...
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

Unlike most people who try to do too much, I think you are selling yourself short. Seven days is more than enough time to see both the metro area and the Avalon peninsula west to Brigus.

Check out the Ferryland hike.

Edited: 14 June 2016, 00:03
7. Re: 7 Day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2017, 09:46