We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy it to drive the city of St. John's?

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How easy it to drive the city of St. John's?

My husband and I are flying in late--about 11 pm--for a last-minute weekend trip soon. We've been weighing the option of taking a taxi to/from downtown then walking or bussing to places (I have limited mobility due to a sore Lyme-disease weakened knee). Or we're considering renting a car so we can have it if we decide to drive out to Cape Spear, up Signal Hill, & to Quidi Vidi. Our main hesitation is driving from the airport so late in an unfamiliar city (we're staying close to the Duckworth). Any recommendations? Or observations of how drivable the city is this time of year? Thank you!

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy it to drive the city of St. John's?

Hi there Dana M,

My name is Chelsea and I work with Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism. It definitely is an option to drive to your accommodation when you arrive in St. John's or you can take a local taxi (City Wide Taxi is always at the airport arrivals entrance) to your accommodation and go to a rental car agency in the city the next day.

At 11:00pm it should not be bad for driving in regards to traffic from the airport to your accommodation.

There will be a Visitor Information Centre when you come out of the arrivals entrance at the airport that will have maps of the city and any other information that may be of use to you! :)

I would also suggest that if you are going to rent a car to book it as soon as possible, they do book up quite quickly in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Regards,

Chelsea

Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,719 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy it to drive the city of St. John's?

Bus us are slow with cumbersome winding routes and none go to Signal Hill or Cape Spear. If you are concerned about locating your accommodations in the dark, you could do as the previous poster suggested and use a taxi from the airport. Some of the car rental agencies will do a pick up to their offices. It's a small city, the biggest problem visitors find is the layout, as it is a bit unplanned (remember, very old city) but with a map or GPS you should have no problem locating the popular tourist sights.

Downtown streets are a bit narrow, and you should make sure your accommodations have adequate parking. But you have to book a rental vehicle ASAP if that's what you decide. We are on an island with only a certain number of rentals available and this time of year they book up fast

Edited: 20 May 2016, 20:21
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy it to drive the city of St. John's?

Thank you both for all your help!

Edited: 20 May 2016, 23:06
4. Re: How easy it to drive the city of St. John's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2017, 10:47